The Garden

As soon as they stepped into the house Suman hurried upstairs, bolted the door and once again fell on the cot. She had promised to herself she will not cry. But how can she. She didn't know how has she become chudayil. What has she done. Switching the car places was her mistake, but who had found her hanging before her last breath has gone. If she sees the person she will ask why she was saved, for what purpose. Sreedhar was trapped because of her. If she had died he would have been sad for some days then he would have moved on. It is because he sees her everyday he is unable to move on. Now she can neither live, nor commit suicide, have trapped Sreedhar too. What a waste life. She thought.

Maheswari first heard all the blabber of her grand daughter and then looked at Sreedhar. " This is what I was afraid of son. This is what I was afraid of. This society is so brutal. But I cant allow her to go into another silence. Vindhya "" Yes Maa" told Vindhya" Tell her I have asked her to water the garden along with you. And Vindhya beta I guess I don't have to tell you what you are supposed to do "" No Maa. I understand. You don't worry. She will not think what happened today for long time " Vindhya smiled in her usual way and went upstairs to call SumanRenuka looked at her MIL. She didn't know what her MIL was thinking. But she knew one thing after being the eldest bahu for Varma family for last 15 years. If her MIL decided something, she will find ways to get it done. When she had casually mentioned about her desire to complete graduation when Aakash was born, she had taken the step to convince both her husband and father in law to enroll her in IGNOU and then get her graduation. That day also she had heard quite flak from the Moholla ladies on if DIL is allowed to study, she will throw out MIL and then rule the house. Her reply was " If DIL does not study how will she teach her kids to be good citizens". And yes allowing to study Renuka, Maheswari has not lost any power, infact Renuka respected her MIL more. She knew if she had to fight society for the benefit of Suman, she will get that done in her own way." Suman" Suman got up from the cot and opened the door. " Suman Maa has asked you to accompany me to water the garden. Will you come "" Yes Bhabi ". The went to the vast beautiful garden of Varma Mansion. It was a well maintained garden and they started watering." Suman you were interested in studying " asked Vindhya casually" Yes Bhabi I was the topper in class 12 in my school and that is why my principal asked my father to send me to Delhi for further studies "" Ok,ok, your father is very open minded Suman. Sending a girl to hostel" Suman thought about the brutal slaps, insults heaped from childhood and the reality of why he was forced to send her, but she was brought back to present by Vindya's constant chatter" Suman you know I never liked studying. I was so happy to get married post my 12th so that I don't have to study. Otherwise what yaar. That Maths, science and then hindi mein essay, English it never came to me. I somehow passed all these because you know my mother told me they are looking for a alliance with Varma family and my MIL wont take DIL if she doesn't know enough to teach her kids. " she giggled." Bhabi you studied to get married " Suman laughed. Vindhya looked at her. She had succeeded" Haan Suman if not for marriage the way my parents wanted I would have stopped studying in 6th or 7th itself. By the way tell about your college no. I have watched colleges in movies. Was it as interesting the way they show in movies "Suman didn't know what to tell. Or rather what can she tell. Seeing her silence Vindya persisted " Suman why are you silent. College life was not good. By the way which college in Delhi you were. I remember your mother telling something. But then you know I don't pay attention to things on study"" Bhabi why are you bothering with things on study when you should have other things to discuss " came Sreedhar from behind and Suman did felt relieved." What other things Sreedhar and what are you doing here. Don't you have any other work"" Work will start next week bhabi, but till then let me roam around. But tell me what are you planning to wear for Nami's dance performance. Bhaiyya got you new saree"" Suman listen what your devar is asking. He very well knows his brother. You are teasing me. Yes your bhaiyya has bought some plain silk sarees. Not even border. As usual old stock and not moving. Since cannot do anything bought it for me. When fashion goes , whatever remaining is dumped on me. Come and see them. Temple festival is there. Nami's first dance performance and what I will get to wear. Those plain tasteless sarees. Renuka Bhabi has patience. But I want to deck up. How many times I tell your bhaiyya"" Bhabi you have got plain silk sarees with you. Do you have fabric color here. If you have just take the color you like the most from those plain silks, I will get the saree fabric painted for you, in the latest style . Give me one and see if you like it. If you like it and I will design all your plain sarees. Fabric paint and embroidery too "" You know design and what is fabric paint. Sreedhar you know fabric paint. If yes get her that and new embroidery kit also. I will send saree to you today itself. Someone cares for my need "" Fabric paint and embroidery kit will be available to Sumanji by evening and Vindhya Bhabi get ready to dazzle for the temple festival "" Yes yes . Suman let us finish this fast and after that let me show you sarees. We will select together which one to take "" Sure Bhabi " she smiled. " Ladies so let me get busy with work, carry on " told SreedharAs he walked away he turned and he saw Suman looking at him. Their eyes met and her eyes had " Thank you " written all over them and his eyes a quiet assurance that he is there for her.