Jodhpur

Night was falling when they reached Jodhpur. The city had so many ancient buildings and with lights the streets had its own aura. Soon they reached the outskirts of the city and Sreedhar slowly drove the car through a narrow road that finally ended in front of an ancient haweli guarded with huge gates.

The gates were closed and Sreedhar honked the horn. They could hear dogs barking and Nami clung to Suman. Suman herself was not used much to dogs.

" Sreedhar no security here to open the doors" asked Suman

" No Sumanji. Don't think that seeing this haveli Maa's family is very rich. This is their ancestral property. A lot of money my nanu spend on freedom struggle, land was used for building girl's school, library and he gave some to government to make housing for poor people. Now the family has name but is not wealthy like today's neo rich. Jaideep Mamu is still a stickler to old values whichever nanu stood for. You will very much see the values Indian freedom fighters stood for in this house. The values they wanted to propagate, but then no one was there to listen to them as everyone went behind money.

As they talked they saw 2 men coming and opening the door. Sreedhar smiled at them. " Sujoy Bhaiyya, Sudeep Bhaiyya " they too smiled back as they followed the open van.

Even before Sreedhar could park the car came Rakhi running " Sreedhar Bhaiyya, Suman Bhabi come come, I have been waiting for you "

Sreedhar got down from the car. But Nami still clung to Suman. " Nami get down beta, Bunty and Bolu are locked " told Sujoy showing her the dogs in the cage.

Once she saw the dogs in the cage Nami got down and Suman took Adwaith in her arms as she got down.

Sujoy and Sudeep helped Sreedhar unload the vehicle while Rakhi lead the others to the door where Latika Mami was waiting with Aarti

She took aarti for both Poornima and Suman " Coming here for the first time telling she put a kumkum tikka for Poornima and gave a kajal dot on Suman's chin. Let bad eyes doesn't fall on you.

Suman looked the big hall. It reminded her of her house. Only thing was it was more spacious and she felt it had more light and air and you felt comfortable when you entered. She looked Rakhi in the light

" Rakhi we have met before " Suman asked

" No Bhabi we have not " Rakhi tried to avoid the topic

" No Rakhi we have met " insisted Suman

" Suman you might have seen someone like her" told Priti and Suman was just thinking that might be true when her eyes fell on Sudeep and Saran standing in the corner.

" No I have seen Sudeep Bhaiyya and who is that. I have seen that boy"

" Suman Chachi we met in hospital " blurted out the 10 year old and the hall went silent

Suman looked at Rakhi and the blurred memories came back to her

She was conscious after the blackout. Her first thought was why in the world she was alive.

" Bhabi, are you fine " she heard a faint unfamiliar voice, only to look into the face of a young girl looking at her with concern. She was in hospital gown. There was some bandage in her right arm and she could feel her head throbbing.

" Bhabi I will call doctor " went the girl

Her parents came. She could see her mother was trying to suppress the tears. Nobody told her anything. The girl asked her many things. " Bhabi shall I comb your hair and tie it"

" Bhabi sindoor ka dabba you want to wear it ". When she was silent, the girl herself combed her hair, put bindi on her forehead and filled her maang with sindoor.

Nobody told her anything for the 3 days she was in hospital where she wore color sarees. And an young man bought food for her and her family. He was accompanied by a child

Suman came back to present and looked at Rakhi. She could see the girl was trying to suppress her tears.

Suman went near Rakhi and held her by shoulders " Why didn't you tell me we met in hospital. Why didn't you tell you were taking care of me for 3 days not even allowing my mother to look after me. Who asked you to be there Rakhi. Who asked you to take charge? I am really sorry I couldn't answer any of your questions. Why Sudeep Bhaiyya I remember you bringing food . Why you cant tell me that you were there with me in the hospital "

" Suman Maheswari asked Rakhi to be in the hospital. My sister wanted to ensure your family didn't feel she had discarded their daughter because of the tragedy. She told everyone clearly that you are her bahu. No one was going to tell you anything till you are back hale from hospital" told Jaideep Mamu.

Suman hugged Rakhi " I don't know Rakhi will I ever be able to repay for what you have done to me for in those 3 days. How could you stand there without showing any grief for my sake. "

" Enough of drama. Here is something for you Rakhi" Sreedhar took a watch and gave to her

" Sreedhar Bhaiyya is it from US" asked Rakhi

" Yes to my one and only younger sister I got it" told Sreedhar. Soon Poornima opened the bag and started giving gifts to everyone with Latika Mami and other ladies admiring Suman's handiwork. The chatter was interrupted by a knock.

Sujoy turned to see a couple standing " Arey Sumeet saab, come come. You told you will come after 2 days"

" Sujoy Bhai saab auspicious things should not be delayed. Mayank liked Rajashree. So I thought without delay let me give my bahu Shagun if you are fine with it " told Sumeet's wife

" Bhabiji why such a question. Raji come beta" Priti put the dupatta as pallu over her daughter's head and the lady put bangles in Rajashree's hand. It was then she observed the guests.

" Pritiji it seems you have guests. We will take leave" told Sumeet

" Bhai saab take some sweets " told Chaya bringing in sweets

They took one sweet hurriedly " Pritiji we will eat during engagement. Please take the dates for the same" saying they took leave.

" Suman and Poorni you entered this house for the first time and good news have come with you. I don't know who is Mahalakshmi among you. So you both take sweets " told Latika Mami as she stuffed sweets into both Suman's and Poorni's mouth.

Suman looked at Raji. She was more or less her age. As per Sreedhar have written degree final year exam. She did distance learning from IGNOU while helping her father in farm. Raji was blushing. Suman looked at Sreedhar. He had his arms crossed against his chest leaning against a wall smiling at her. She smiled back at him. She had made a favourable impression at his nanu's place.