A sister's question

Suman arrange the room for your sister. Sreedhar take the sheets, pillow cover etc from the above cupboard in your room and give it to her. Also make your room a bit more tidy"

Devika tried to follow her sister, but Maheswari stopped her. " Devika you are our guest. They will manage"

Once inside the room, Sreedhar dragged the chair and got on it to get the sheets, while Suman dragged the table towards the end of the room and made some space. He got the sheets, soft beds blankets and pillow covers.

Suman started putting the pillow covers, while Sreedhar put the 2 soft beds on the ground.

" Suman you are planning to give money to your sister. Don't give" told Sreedhar

" How did you know and why I shouldn't give her. She is my sister Sreedhar and I will be giving to her what I earn only"

" Dear feminist the question is not your money, my money or anyone's money here. Question is about secrecy. Question is about the long term benefit of your nieces than this short term solution . I very well understand seeing the kids they are impoverished. And do you really think I don't want to help them. And coming to how I know. You always wanted a job right to take care of your Maa. So since you have one and your sister in trouble comes of course you will give her money"

Now she had finished putting the pillow cover and she took the bed sheet and asked him to hold the other side.

" But Sreedhar what issue can it cause if I give her money"

" Maybe we will lose out on the chance of long term solution. See Amit is busy. Else I would have asked him to take your sister's case also so that she can get alimony from her husband and monthly allowance from him for her children. But I need maybe 2-3 months to get that support from Amit. Only recently I asked him to take Vaishnav's case. He is already into Mahima Das and have another 3-4 cases running. If you give money now it can alert your family that Devika is having some support. And who knows maybe they will fix Ramya's marriage as retaliation"

" But Sreedhar why should they fix Ramya's marriage and why do you feel if I give money it can happen. Also Didi is not looking at alimony. She is looking at a job"

" Sumi I am telling it because I understood your father. Why your marriage was fixed suddenly. Because I roamed with you outside campus and somebody saw it. You had always warned me whenever I asked you to come out with me. I enjoyed the time with you. I loved taking you to movies, to historical places, to restaurents. But what was the end result of those untimely pleasures" he looked at her, his eyes welling with tears.

" Sreedhar.."

" Sumi if I had waited, had bit more patience you wouldn't have been here like this. You would have been in college now. Completing your graduation and then formally I could have proceeded. Would have happily enjoyed the time with you, with rights, with authority fearing none. Your family fears the disruption in status quo Suman. If they feel any threat they will react. And if they do something to Ramya we wont be able to do anything. You yourself know the fortress your family set up for your marriage. Believe me if Devika Didi wants job we will find a way and also ensure your family is forced to let go of her for the job. But for that we need time and the secrecy." He looked at her.

" Yes Sreedhar we will go as you say. Sorry if it hurt you if I said I will give my money only"

Now they were putting the bedsheet on the bed. She was holding one end and he the other.

" Suman Varma things wont work with sorry. He gave her a naughty look and smile indicating towards the sheet "

Suman blushed " Sreedhar you are crossing limits, we are not making the bed for ..." she stopped.

" Complete the sentence we are not making the bed for.." he smiled.

" Didi come, the room is ready " shouted Suman

" You will complete it Suman if not today tomorrow, I am not going to leave you, he winked at her and started moving outside as Devika entered.

" Hey Sreedhar I have few questions for you both. Sit here" told Devika

" For us didi" Suman and Sreedhar looked at each other. Did didi hear something they talked. But she was with Maa.

" Why are you both looking confused. I will come straight to the point. Suman isn't he your lover in college"

Suman and Sreedhar looked dumbstruck. " Suman I am asking you, isn't he your lover"

" Yes " Suman nodded. Devika made both of them sit on the bed with she in between.

" Suman I had heard the name when you were crying. I had doubt when I heard Sreedhar Varma and I observed you both today and understood my instincts were right and hence thought of asking few questions"

" Sreedhar I hope you are not making my sister build a castle in air. You men will have so many priorities and in most cases the woman in your life becomes the last priority. So I would request you, if you do not have any intention to give her a new life, please don't play with her feelings. Already she is scarred a lot. And I don't think she can take more scars."

" Didi" Suman tried to intervene. " Suman Sreedhar will have to answer me. I want assurance that the man's name that you kept chanting even in your semi conscious state as a whisper will live upto your dedication towards him. I know he has stood upto you. But protecting you in that community meeting can be salvaging the guilt not necessarily the need to marry you , so is he really committed towards you."

" Didi let me tell you one thing. If Suman had not survived her suicide attempt and the accident believe me you wouldn't have found Sreedhar Varma here. It would have been obviously another pyre because if she was gone meaning to my life was gone. I didn't play around with her in college. I wanted to marry her. I am not playing around with her now. I want our relation to be formalized. For your information my Sudhir Bhaiyya and Vindhya Bhabi knows about our relation. They are supporting us to get acceptance from other family members also. I only want to ensure your sister gets all the acceptance in this house as my wife. At this point I do not know how else I can prove my intention to you" his eyes were teary.

" Your eyes give me the proof Sreedhar" told Devika. " Nobody can question the truth in your eyes. It is not that I didn't trust you. I just wanted to confirm. I just wanted to see what you will tell. Suman is lucky to have you in her life. I will pray to Mata Gowri to solve all your problems soon. Now let me call Ramya and Reshma. Tomorrow we have to start early"

Suman and Sreedhar smiled at each other as she stepped out. So one more in the family is in agreement with their match. He once again asked her " We are not making bed for ..." Suman gave him a glare as she walked into her room and he went upstairs to join Aakash and Adwaith