Nami's b'day, College Project

The whole Varma family was in the temple. It was Nami's b'day and a Aayush Homa was being performed in her name. Vindhya performed Aayush homa every year in Nami's name for her birthday because of the trouble faced during Nami's birth.

Usually Maheswari called many close families also for the homa. But this year it was only the family. Sudhir and Vindhya sat in the front with Nami. Then there was Maheswari and Rajasekhar followed Tilak, Renu and the kids. Sreedhar and Suman sat behind. Somehow being in temple Suman's thoughts wandered.

" Hold my hand" told Sreedhar. She held the hand. As they took the first round he told " I promise you that I will make provision for food and I will never let you be hungry", she told " I promise with whatever you bring, I will make best effort to make nourishing food for the family

As they took the second round he told " I promise I will make every possible step to ensure your physical and emotional welfare is taken care of " and she told " I will make every possible effort to keep the atmosphere at home pleasant so you always feel welcome "

Her train of thoughts were broken by the priest telling aarti. She got up adjusting her pallu. When the priest bought the aarti Sreedhar and Suman almost together touched it and their eyes met. His eyes told her, his thoughts were not different. After taking the Prasad they all started taking rounds of temple. Sreedhar and Suman walked silently behind. Sreedhar thought " Renu Bhabi was telling since I am a bachelor they will ask me to marry Sarangi. Sumi how can I tell someone that I am married, I am not a bachelor. I cant even tell this to Sudhir Bhaiyya this truth between us ". Suman watched him gulping down the pain he was feeling. But the moment was broken by Surekha Naina's mother

" Maheswariji I never thought Varma family will behave this way. Because you have a son, you think he can do anything and get away including calling names a lady"

" Surekhaji if my son is guilty he will get punished. I have not given any sanskaar to my child to insult a lady. Anyways motion is moved against him in MA right. Let us see what happens there"

" Maheswariji your bahu has taken one of your sons, now for her sake you are jeopardizing your entire family. What is wrong with my Naina for your son to reject her publicly when her father has taken it with your husband" told Surekha pulling Naina towards her. Naina looked defiantly at Suman.

" Surekhaji did we formally finalize the alliance for your daughter with Sreedhar for her to behave the way she behaved with my son. A man will reject a woman if she tries to be romantically close to him without his permission. I have given values to my sons so that they know where their limits are and they will form relation with a maiden who knows her limits and knows how to respect families. Ask your daughter whether she behaved right with Sreedhar's bhabi and nephew. I do not have time to explain to you Surekhaji as I said let this get closed in MA"

As they walked past Surekha and Naina Maheswari told " I just want this to be over. Rajasekhar on what basis you talked to Rawat on Sreedhar-Naina marriage. Does that girl look suitable for Sreedhar from any angle" . Rajasekhar was silent and the other family members tried hard to suppress the laughter.

Gauthami sat in front of the Mahila Pradhan in Mewar. " Good afternoon Madam. I Gauthami. I am doing a college project on woman empowerment done in places like this. I was asked to meet you. Could you please help "

" You mean to say if I am part of your project work I will come in TV"

" Of course Madam. We will present it as a narrative from you. If you could take me to some woman who have benefitted from the classes you conducted. Details of some progressive families who sent their woman for your programme. It will all make nice documentary " told Gauthami

" Don't worry. I will take you to every household and make you meet the members. But one thing I have to tell you. All families are very prominent. So you will have to give me questions that you are planning to ask. The families will allow them to meet you only after ensuring the ladies are giving appropriate response"

" No issues Madam. Here is the 10 point questionnaire. You can take copies and circulate it to whomever you want. I am staying in the ladies hostel nearby. I will come tomorrow"

" Sure beta. I will make sure you get all data" told the Mahila Pradhan.

" Thank you Madam" saying it Gauthami walked out. She knew once she gets the answers to her 10 point questionnaire she will have to ensure that when presented right words are used so that the right message goes out"

" Happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Namrata, happy birthday to you "

Everyone sang the song as Nami cut the cake. It was a small function with just family. Then gifts started coming in. Sudhir gave a doll to her. Tilak and Renu gifted a dress. Sreedhar gave the Archies mug, Poornima gave the key chain, Aakash and Adwaith together gave a soft toy. Suman gave her a beautifully embroidered pouch. Nami looked happy and when she saw the food in the dining table her eyes widened. There was her favourite badam kheer, bajre ki roti, aloo dum and ice cream. The family sat around for dinner heartily as the ladies served the food.