The Medal Varmala

It was night by the time they all reached home and preparations were on for dinner. Sreedhar touched the feet of his parents and showed them the medal. Rajasekhar looked at the medal proudly.

" This is third time a medal is coming to this home. It could have been more, if only ..."

" Papa leave it. It's over. I do not have any complaints. That time dadaji felt that way and I have moved on. I am very much happy Sreedhar is more or less living my dream " told Sudhir

Tilak looked at Sudhir, closed his eyes and sighed. Sudhir's dreams were the casualty of what he had done.

Maheswari told " I still never understood why Pitashree was so against sending Sudhir to US. He was a topper B.Sc Maths and also got a scholarship to the one of the top universities in US. His principal had begged Pitashree"

" Maa I told naa don't talk about it. See my brother has done Post Graduation and he has gone to US also. Now we will go to US by expanding business, by exports which you know I have been trying for some past 2-3 years "

Tilak was feeling suffocated. " I said Sudhir need not go anywhere and that is my decision. Tilak when you decided to do what you wanted you didn't had any concern for your younger brothers. Why come begging. I have decided. Sudhir will join business and he will be my apprentice. Under my nose. Rajasekhar was lenient with you" the voice still ranged and Tilak clenched his fist.

Renuka looked at her husband and to divert topic told "Children were waiting for you. But since you were late all went to sleep. Vindhya how was the college and let me see the medal." She took the medal

" Bhabi don't tell about college. Ask your devar with which girl he has roamed around. Shalu"

" Nandu" told Sreedhar

" See Bhabi Nandu, he calls Shalini Shalu, Nandini Nandu and you know this girl Nandini told she has even kept a vrath to get Sreedhar as husband "

" Bhabi I didn't keep any vrath to get her as wife " chuckled Sreedhar, his eyes finding what he wants. Suman standing at the stairs smiling

" Sreedhar is what she tells is true" asked Maheswari

" Maa they are all city girls and if Bhabi asks why I am calling Shalini Shalu they will want to play around. Everyone in college calls Shalini Shalu "

" Maa you don't listen to her, you know her bak, bak, ... the girls have made her head spin that's it. Some of his batch mates took her for a college tour that's it " told Sudhir.

" Hey Suman why are you standing there, you don't want to see the medal " asked Sudhir

" ji jethji, bhabi is looking. I can see it from here" told Suman

" Suman I know you are not like Vindhya. You are a girl who has gone to college. You will know the value of a medal and your eyes says you want to wear it, maybe you too could have got one if you had completed graduation"

" Jethji you were telling it is past, for me also it is past. I have learned to live with it "

" But what is the harm in putting someone's medal around your neck. It gives a good feel. Sreedhar just put it on her. Let her enjoy it for sometime"

Sreedhar stared at his brother and Suman looked shocked. Sudhir teased Sreedhar with the eyes and indicated take the oppourtunity

" Yes Sumanji of course " he went near her and put the medal on her neck. Suman looked at him quizzingly whether Sudhir knows, he indicated yes might be. Suman looked towards Sudhir. He smiled at her, asking her to be calm.

Suman took the medal in the hands, she caressed it and felt as if caressing him, his cheeks. Tears were welling up in her eyes and she controlled. Maheswari looked at her DIL looking at the medal. Yes it was told that Suman was a good student. What all dreams has been snatched from the girl. Once again she thought about the question she didn't ask Suman. Had she wanted to marry Murali. She should have gone for the Sangeeth, should not have send Vindhya. Should have asked her, should have asked her.

Suman took the medal and she went near Sreedhar and put it on him " It looks good on you Sreedhar. You deserved it " She smiled, a smile he returned in a language only they understood. Sreedhar looked at Sudhir. He smiled indicating tomorrow.

That night Sreedhar lay in his bed holding the medal, kissing it again and again. He felt like kissing her hand, kissing her cheeks , kissing her forehead and ...he allowed his thoughts to linger a bit, feeling her close.

He has to be thankful to Sudhir Bhaiyya. But how did Bhaiyya know. He had never expected it. Yes Sudhir Bhaiyya had the razor sharp brain in the family. He was the perfect blend of their father and mother. He accepted the traditions, and within the traditions he fought for anything that he deemed right. Sudhir was forthright and never had any tedha medha plans like Sreedhar. Sudhir did within the rules, but Sreedhar was willing to bend rules if he could attain the purpose he want that was the difference between them. Sudhir accepted what life has given him without complaints, but Sreedhar he was willing to fight for what he wants. Sreedhar knew if he was in Sudhir's place he would have never accepted dadaji's verdict. He would have fought tooth and nail and would have found one way or another to get what he wants. Sudhir very much wanted to go to US and study post gradutation. He also wanted to work there for sometime before coming back to India to handle business. Sudhir had wanted a well educated wife who he could have taken into their business. Dadaji had completly ruled out the possibility as he fixed the marriage with Vindhya from the family well known to them and according to him with whom his marriage was fixed even while he was studying. But Bhaiyya had never complained. Now what he will talk to Bhaiyya. He knew one thing. After what Bhaiyya had done today, he has to tell him the plain truth. He closed his eyes feeling Suman once again.

Suman hugged the pillow and closed her eyes. Does Sudhir jethji know, but he asked her to be calm so maybe she need not worry. She took a deep breath and She felt close to Sreedhar, she felt his warmth and she felt happy as she drifted into sleep