The Apology, The Breakdown, The Verdict

There was loud murmur in the crowd. Sumedha shouted " So the son of Varma family had an illicit affair with Anusree. I never thought Maheswariji's son will do that and she is an illegimate child which you are trying to make legitimate now as someone has threatened you . If the child was legitimate why hide it from the world"

" Sumedha mistake have happened, no crime itself has happened from Varma family. I accept that. But I have not given sanskaar to my son to have illegitimate relationship with a woman. Tilak had married Anusree and we all know the child born to a suhagan is not illegitimate, but legitimate only"

" But Maheswariji if that was the fact why it was not told during community meeting" asked Charulatha

" That's what I said we had committed mistake. For the pride, honor and dignity of the family we decided to stay mum about the marriage our son had with a woman of another caste. But the one who was serving justice in the community meeting had known the truth. Please ask him why he didn't request to bring Tilak to the meeting. Why he didn't ask my husband where our eldest son was. Why he didn't question us when Tilak had one wife how did we make our son marry a second time with a girl of our choice "

Mahantji was fuming now. He was not sure what to do. Maheswari Varma was going full flow with the accusation on the person sitting on the judgement. He looked at Harkishore and indicated him to support him and throw dirt at Varma's. Harkishore smiled back.

" What do you mean by that Maheswariji. You are telling my husband knew it " roared Sumedha

" Exactly Sumedhaji. That's what I am telling. Ask your husband. Yes we had our selfish needs to protect our family pride, but what did your husband had to gain by siding with us" she looked at Mahant. " Mahantji you are standing in front of Mata Gowri and Bolenath. Atleast speak the truth now. Werent you the one who conducted the secret marriage of my son Tilak with Harkishoreji's daughter Anusree"

Mahant looked angrily at Maheswari. What audacity she had in her to question him. The great Mahant. He will show her, her place now. But before he could open the mouth Harkishore came forward.

" Maheswariji my wife had told me to allow her to talk with you before Tilak's marriage with Anusree. But it was my mistake that I trusted this Mahant with my daughter's life. I thought after marriage Mahantji will convince Rajasekharji and your father in law in accepting my daughter as the DIL of the Varma family. But I was wrong Maheswariji. My wife was right.Mahantji didn't help us. Even when we were outcasted she had wanted to speak to you as she felt you would give justice to our daughter. But in anger I didn't listen to her. And today coming here and telling the world about my Poornima's father you have delivered on the faith my wife kept on you"

Mahantji was shocked. He couldn't believe the man who wanted revenge from Varma's so easily switched sides.

" Now Mahantji tell what is the truth. What benefit you got from hiding the fact of Tilak and Anusree's marriage". Mahant couldn't reply to her and he left the stage in a huff and seeing the atmosphere turning hostile towards them the moral brigade also quickly dispersed. Maheswari turned to Harkishore. But before she could speak another lady asked. " Maheswariji still Tilak could have enquired about the child once if he had married Anu and knew about her pregnancy"

Maheswari showed a form to the lady " Chanchala if you could read this, else ask someone who knows to read it and tell you what it means. When my son went to enquire about his wife being outcasted this was what he got" . The lady read the form and it passed between people. " Maheswariji.. stammered the lady

" What did you understand that my son was made to believe his wife aborted the child as after what had happened she wanted to end everything related to him. Now tell on what basis Tilak should go searching for the baby" Crowd fell silent. She once again turned to Harkishoreji