A friend in need

Poornima was on phone with Vaishnav. " Vaishnav I hope Sreedhar Uncle is able to hold on. Today your cousins were mocking me in school that Sreedhar Uncle will apologize as if he doesn't their family will suffer. I also heard Suman aunty is hospitalized"

" Only that they told Poornima. I heard they even shouted something bad about your caste status and told you shouldn't be meddling with upper caste people "

Vaishnav had not gone to school that day as his nanu was unwell after Pradeep Samrat's men had barged in and boasted about the attack they did on Varma family. They said Vaishnav's rebellion will stop in 2 days. But Vaishnav got information from his classmates and other friends on what happened in school

" Vaishnav that I hear from childhood. I am used to it. Whenever I top the class or win some prize there will someone who doesn't like it as they believe we shouldn't be topping."

" But Poornima that is not fair. You should have given them nice replies so that they don't repeat" told Vaishnav

" If I shout what will be happen Vaishnav. Nothing. The reply to such people is my academic performance and I feel that is a better response"

" Poorni sometimes I feel I should learn a lot from you. You have lot of patience. But you don't worry. I strongly feel Sreedhar uncle wont apologize and our effort wont go in vain. There will be some way"

" There will be someway sure , but what did you call me Poorni only my family calls me that Vaishnav" she laughed over the phone.

" Oh I am sorry. If you feel bad, I wont call again " told Vaishnav

" No no you can call. You are a very good friend of mine" told Poornima and they both laughed.

As they were going upstairs Suman looked at Vindhya enquiring where Sudhir and Sreedhar have gone. Vindhya said she will come to her room after checking on Nami and tell. Suman nodded.

Sreedhar was in car with Sudhir. " Bhaiyya now atleast tell me where are we going. See I am sorry, very sorry for getting short tempered and doing what I did. You have slapped me also. But please tell I cant take this suspense any longer "

" Sreedhar we are going to meet Goraji and his tribe"

" Goraji, who is this person. I have not heard about him. And tribe. What kind of tribe. What do they do "

" Sreedhar you never know how universe repays you for showing your humanity at the right time. Though I have believed universe had repaid me for helping Goraji that day itself today I feel the real reason for that connection is this. We cannot move forward in this war without Goraji Sreedhar. I had thought I will take help when the Jagratha issue happened. But that time your friends in media handled the situation"

" You helped Goraji. What kind of help and how are you sure he will help us " asked Sreedhar

" Sreedhar this tribe if you look doesn't use modern things like us. But in reality their thinking is far ahead than us. They don't kill female babies. Nor do they cry when a girl is born. A girl and boy both get the right of choosing their life partner during some festival of theirs. They don't follow IPC. But their rule they implement much fairly. They don't attack you. But if someone attacks them especially the woman folks in their tribe well that person will not be given to any IPC, they will punish him as per their law. Justice is immediate not at all delayed. If they treat you friend they will die for you and if you end up in their bad books God save you"

" Now how do I know Goraji. You know Vindhya had severe complications during Nami's birth. The doctor had called me and told I will have to choose. If it comes to saving one whom would I preferred to saved first Vindhya or the baby. She also told by the looks of things it is more or less certain Vindhya can never be a mother again. She asked to take decision fast and fill the form in the reception only then they will take Vindhya for surgery. I was devastated. Myself and Maa knew it has to be Vindhya if it comes between mother and baby. But I knew Vindhya was counting on the baby a lot. If she loses the baby and if she knows she cannot become a mother again I had no clue how will Vindhya take it. What will be her mental condition. Will she blame me for saving her. Will she accuse me of killing the baby because it was a girl which the nurse had told us in the 4th month scan . You know right these people tell the gender so the prospective parents can abort the female baby if they want it. It is so rampant. She knew I had wanted a son and was disappointed a bit hearing it is going to be daughter. She had also heard couple of my friends telling me to take her for abortion. Why a girl. But irrespective of disappointment though I had not mentally prepared to welcome our daughter, I didn't wanted to kill her. But that day I felt God himself was punishing with me the choice. If the baby goes, will my wife be the same. And whatever misgivings I had about our marriage I couldn't imagine Vindhya without her chirpiness. I was in a very confused state when I reached the reception and the lady pushed some forms at me.

It was then I saw a man who didn't look city bred was pleading with the hospital staff. That he will somehow bring the money the next day, but at that point to do the C-Section of his wife. He was telling they have got this baby after waiting 14 years so to please listen to him. The hospital staff were telling they cannot do it without the money. I felt sorry for him. My condition was with all the money in hand I had to give a choice between mother and baby. And for him if money was given C-section will happen and both mom and baby will be safe. I went and told the hospital staff to take that man's wife to C-section and paid the money. That man thanked me profusely and said he will repay. I didn't know why I felt calm after that and I came and wrote Vindhya's name in the form.

Even today I feel I got back both Vindhya and Nami because I had helped him. Goraji was true to his word. He managed to find out who I am and came to pay the dues and also to invite me for his son's naming ceremony. That was the first time I went there. They treat me like God. Goraji is the chieftan and since chieftan's wife and child was saved because I paid the money, they revere me like anything. First time I had felt uncomfortable. But then got used to it. I go there every year during Nami's birthday with sweets and gifts for children in that tribe. I sponsor couple of children who had gone to college from that tribe. Goraji says I do much and I have not given them a chance to help me. Today I am going to end Goraji's complaint by requesting protection from his group for our family. They are trained warriors in guerilla warfare. If anyone comes near our family next time, they will come only once because next time it will not be warning they get, it will be something else.

" Bhaiyya do you still regret having a daughter" asked Sreedhar

" Sreedhar that phase is long past. I realized when the baby smile at you it doesn't matter it is a boy or a girl. It is your child. I will never forget the day Nami called me " Papa" first time nor will I forgot the tension we both had when Nami had fits when she was around 2 yrs old and we were standing in front of ICU and the doctor was administering medicine to her. I cherish my daughter like any proud father " he smiled at Sreedhar.

" Come we have reached told Sudhir " as he stepped out and showed a set of cottages in the distance.

As they approached the habitat 2 men came and stopped them. The moment they saw Sudhir's face they dropped the weapon and bowed in from of him " Sudhir saab, this late. Please wait here. Let us call our chief. We cannot allow you to enter without customary welcome"

Sreedhar looked at this brother. Well so far he had thought to do community service he had to bend rules. But he was amazed how within the rules his brother manages so much. And then they heard some drum beats from inside.