The Interview

Gauthami entered the Rajput Haveli with Mahila Pradhan. She looked around and started feeling a little afraid also. Somehwere it gave Gauthami an omnious feeling. A feeling of suffocation. Yes she had wanted to come to this place. This was the only place she had wanted to come. And it became the last place as she had to go to some 10-15 other places with Mahila Pradhan. But then she had collected the information. After all she needed it for her college project.

Virat Rajput greeted them. Mahila Pradhan smiled very broadly talking about Gauthami's project

" Viratji you very well know at Municipality level we are doing a lot of things for the woman of Mewar and people like you are always helping us in this mission. Now we are going to get some recognition also for our work. I hope Devika beti have filled up the form Gauthami gave"

" Pradhanji have Rajput family stayed away from anything that is progressive. Yes of course Devika has filled up the form and we have looked through it. Gauthami can speak to her"

Inside Bhavani looked at Devika. Before anyone came Bhavani told " Devika it is a media person who is sitting outside. I know all your answers have been checked by this family and they have made it the way they wanted. But now the girl is going to interview you. Use words very wisely so that the intent of what you want goes out. Don't be afraid. Whatever comes along with it, the Mahila Pradhan is in charge. Our family loves pretense a lot, so they wont cut your wings publicly. Use this Achilles heel of our family for your freedom beti. Atleast make a proper try. If you are able to get out of this place I will talk to Suman. I am sure she and her sasural will help you"

Virat and Virender came in and Bhavani adjusted her pallu and got up. " Devika go. You remember right what you need to tell. Always keep the pride of this family" Virat gave a stern warning to her and Devika nodded.

Devika came to the front room and saw a girl in salwar kameez sitting there. As she approached her the girl got up and introduced herself. " Hello I am Gauthami. I am doing my final year college project with Amro Network. They wanted me to do a documentary on woman empowerment in any of the gender sensitive areas. So after doing some analysis I have come to Mewar and the Mahila Pradhan has bought me to you"

" Namasthe Gauthamiji. I am Devika. Since you are talking about woman empowerement I want to tell that I am a woman who is abandoned by her husband because I have 2 daughters. But I have been very lucky that my maayka didn't throw me and my kids out. We are kept very respectfully here"

" Yes Devika didi I understand that. With the fact that your family has sent you to the short hand course the Mahila Pradhan has arranged. So didi how was the experience. How well you scored in the course. Also please call me Gauthami"

" Gauthami the course was good. I was among the top 10 students in class. Out of 50 people attended only 15 people passed both lower and higher in shorthand and I am one of them" told Devika.

" That is really good Devika didi. I have heard usually short hand is learned along with type writing. So have you studied type writing"

" Gauthami after 10th before marriage I had gone for typing but didn't write any exam. I was married before that. My sasural didn't encourage anything of that sort. So if you ask me whether I can type. Yes I can"

" Didi I have heard about some 4-5 people got job from the institute. Didn't you try for the job. Considering the fact you were among top 10 "

Virat wanted to stop that question. He was a bit irritated that Devika told she was one of the top students. But Virender held his brother's hand firmly indicating what will Mahila Pradhan think

" Gauthami see I am not a woman who is used to stay away from home. If you look at people who have got job they got it immediately after the course but it was outside Mewar. Places like Jaipur, Jodhpur etc.. so you can say I didn't try. But now since my sister is in Jaipur if an oppourtunity comes there I can very well look into as she is there to help me"

Virat wanted to slap Devika, but then he couldn't do anything as Gauthami proceeded " Your sister in Jaipur, she is working there"

" Actually she is not working in a big scale, but she is teaching dance and doing fabric painting. She is the DIL of Varma family in Jaipur"

" Oh Varma family. Is she anyway connected to Sreedhar Varma, the man who took that beating"

" Yes she is his bhabi. It was for her he took the beating "

" Oh then your sister has got a very wonderful family Devika didi. And if you get an oppourtunity you should go to Jaipur. Thanks for helping me. I am so happy to know ladies like you also want to go out and work, but then you need favourable conditions to venture out. This factor came in most of my interviews" She folded her hands to Virat and Virender " Thank you Uncles for allowing Didi to speak to me" . Virat and Virender also gave her a polite Namasthe. Virender was gritting his teeth. Why is Sreedhar Varma in everyone's lips. What great things that boy is doing.

Once Gauthami and Mahila Pradhan were out of sight Virat pounced at his daughter " Who asked you to talk about Suman. Who asked you to tell if you get job in Jaipur you will go"

" Is there a job kept in Jaipur if she says so. Poor thing just told her wish. That girl will make documentary submit for her college exams and then forgotten. Why are you making issue out of it " came one of Devika's bhabi.

The other Bhabi dragged her inside " Don't even think of building castles in air. You will be here only. Doing our work. Now enough limelight, go and wash the clothes"

Devika went to the backyard where a pile of clothes were kept. She gathered all of them and walked towards the well. Will there be an end to her misery. Will her children atleast get a better life. She looked at the sky her heart sending a silent prayer.

/$f�h��h