Insensitive Remarks

Soon the dance performance started. The three girls danced gracefully to the song " More Panghat pe Nandlal Ched gayo re"

Vindhya was sitting next to Suman and throughout performance she nudged her one way or the other teasing her indirectly. But Suman kept her attention on the stage but her mind was not on the performance instead the few moments of intimacy she felt with Sreedhar. She was surprised she was feeling happy not uncomfortable at that feeling of closeness.

Sreedhar's condition was nothing different. Seeing her suddenly in silk saree and that colorful jewellery had awakened all his desires. Though he was composed his eyes were fixed not on the stage but on Suman. She had covered herself with pallu and Sreedhar wished she would let go of that pallu. Only when Sudhir nudged him his reverie was broken and he looked at his brother and smiled.

" Don't make it obvious Sreedhar. Lest Tilak Bhaiyya, Papa or anyone in the crowd notice"whispered Sudhir . Sreedhar nodded and looked at the stage where the performance was concluding.

Once the performance was over the girls came down where everyone congratulated them. Some ladies did come and appreciate Suman. But then there were ladies who were feeling uncomfortable in her presence.

Maheswari took Renu and went to meet the ladies who were not coming forth as matter of courtesy, while Suman and Vindhya talked with the group of ladies who had no issues with Suman.

Men were talking in their groups and kids playing around. Then someone called Vindhya and she went that side and soon Suman found herself alone. She just stood where she was standing not sure what to do.

" I didn't know Murali's wife is this beautiful". Suman heard the voice and turned to see a bunch of men leering at her. She looked around and saw everyone was busy in their discussions. She just moved behind.

" Yes it is a pity Murali died without having Suhaagraat with her. What a waste" told another.

" I completely agree to you my friend. He lost a splendid chance. If he had to die he should have enjoyed her" told the third one. Suman had tears in her eyes. She wanted to shout. But her voice didn't come. Even if she calls what will she tell. They were standing at a distance from her and were only commenting. She just moved backwards.

" Suman Varma don't you want to enjoy Suhaag Raat". Suman turned her face in disgust.

" What is the purpose of wearing all this colorful things if there is no one to enjoy you" told the second.

" Tell what you told once again " the man turned hearing the voice behind him. Sreedhar was standing. Suman could see his eyes were seething with anger.

" Sreedhar don't create trouble. Leave them". She began to walk towards where Vindhya was chatting with some ladies and Sreedhar was about to follow her.

" See why did you come and disturb. Your beautiful bhabi was enjoying the talk on Suhaag Raat" and before Suman could stop Sreedhar had punched the man's face. The other two men held him. Suman knew she had no go but to call Tilak and Sudhir else things will go out of hand.

" Tilak Jethji, Sudhir Jethji please come" she shouted. Hearing her and seeing the three men now surrounding Sreedhar and punching him Sudhir and Tilak rushed. But then the two body guards Maya had sent came and took him out. Sudhir could see Sreedhar's one cheek was puffy and his lip was bleeding.

" What is happening here. Why did you hit my brother" shouted Tilak. Now everyone was gathered. Maheswari rushed to Sreedhar seeing his condition.

" We hit your brother. Look at what your brother has done the man showed his cheek which was also puffy"

" Bhaiyya they were telling obscene things to..."

" Suman did they speak obscene things to you " jumped in Sudhir before Sreedhar could complete. He didn't want anyone to hear Sreedhar addressing Suman as Sumanji.

Suman started crying and Vindhya and Renu went to her. " Suman tell us what did they tell " told Renu gently. Suman whispered those things to Vindhya and Renu.

" What did she tell Renu" asked Tilak.

" Tilak I cannot tell those things publicly. A woman's modesty doesn't allow that"

Tilak looked at the men, but Sudhir restrained his brother and he looked at the body guards.

" What were you doing. You were supposed to provide security to us. You come only if someone is manhandled."

" Sir because of the sound we couldn't hear what they were talking. Our apologies. We will take these men"

" We do not want to file any case. Just leave them " came in Rajasekhar.

The body guards left the men reluctantly. They looked at Sreedhar angrily as they walked off.

" See this is what happens when widows are taken out" told one lady to Maheswari .

" Yaa yaa if she wears sringaar everyone will look at her and pass comments. That's why white is the best dress for them" told another.

" My bahu was wearing white when some goons came inside and attacked her. If every mother gives right upbringing to their sons it doesn't matter the girl wears white or color" told Maheswari her eyes blazing and the women cowed and dispersed.

Suman was silent throughout the return journey and Maheswari knew she was once again feeling guilty. She sighed. She thought she will talk to the girl once they were back home.