The Luncheon, The School, The Complaint

Start from the beginning

" Sreedhar tell your Maa if the girl is grown up like this she will not get good alliance " told Suyyash

" Bhaiyya Namrata is a child. There is a long way to go before we think about her marriage. At this point only her studies matter" told Sreedhar

" Sreedhar what will the girl do if she studies. She will still light the gas in the kitchen and cut vegetables right.Nothing more. So why are you wasting your effort " told Sobha's Mausi's husband sarcastically

Sreedhar held Aakash's hand to silence him. This was the hardest part. Now with changes happening it was difficult for the kids to adapt to the regressive surroundings and they questioned directly.

Soon the lunch happened. There were puris and gajar ka halwa and other things. Children were not taking much. But Sobha Mausi's attention was on Sreedhar

" Sreedhar how is puris and gajar ka halwa" asked Sobha Mausi

" It is good Mausi" told Sreedhar

" Arrey our Pakki made it. Pakki give puris and halwa to Sreedhar" . A girl just about 17 or 18 smiled shyly at Sreedhar and was about to serve puris when Aakash called

" Sreedhar Chachu Gobi Paratha is very good. You have it. Sobha Mausi give chachu naa. I don't see Paratha in Sreedhar Chachu's plate and Pakki didi is puris and halwa only for Sreedhar Chachu, we have not got it. Can I have some"

Sobha Mausi looked irritated but Pakki had to give to Aakash and then both Nami and Adwaith too asked. Aakash kept on asking Pakki this and that and the other kids simply imitated their elder brother calling Pakki didi not allowing her to go near Sreedhar till the lunch was finished much to the discomfort of whole Sobha Mausi's family.

Suman and Poorni were in the school. Since it was summer holidays no one was there. Priti Bhabi explained how it was started in 1955 and there were only six girls there and she was one among them. She told how nanu and Jaideep Mamu had strived hard to bring girls to the school. How they had encouraged young men to marry educated girls. How many girls like her were saved from early marriage because of their efforts. Jaideep Mamu had given word to her father that Sujoy will marry her post she completes 12th. Chaya was also chosen similarly. And 2 sons of Jaidev Mamu who were in army also had married girls from the school itself. When the family chose the girls as their bahus more credibility came to the school and more students came.

She said now they had 500 students and this year in 12th 55 girls have written which is highest ever for the school. She asked if Suman is fine if she calls some 5-6 students parents to their house the next day. She told those girls have lot of potential and if send to a good college in Delhi can have bright future. They are sending Rakhi to college as example, but if Suman speaks to them it will give more credibility and will also allay their fears that a girl sent to college wont obey traditions.

Suman didn't know what to tell. She was a girl who would have run away and married, if not for Sreedhar who was completely against the idea. But then she couldn't refuse as what would she tell.

" Suman what are you thinking. Is it difficult" asked Priti Bhabi

" No Bhabi. You call them. I will speak" told Suman

" That's good. I will tell Rajdeep to go and call everyone tomorrow morning at our house. Afternoon you are going to Geetha's place right"

" Yes Bhabi tomorrow we are going to Geeta didi's place and then to market ". They had seen the complete school.

" Aakash what were you upto. If Renu Bhabi knows she will make you into a pulp. Suman Chachi told you right not to question certain things and what were you doing with Pakki" asked Sreedhar to Aakash in a harsh voice. He was not sure was this the way Tilak Bhaiyya was in his teenage.

Aakash was silent. " Aakash I am asking you" . But he didn't tell anything and simply turned away. Sreedhar looked at other two sitting behind. Nami was holding Adwaith. They kept their head low.

Once they reached home Aakash simply walked off gruffly not answering anything. " Aakash I am asking you " came Sreedhar behind him and took hold of him.

Others have come from school and now they were stunned to see an angry Sreedhar and crying Aakash.

" What happened " asked Suman

" Ask him, what he was doing " told Sreedhar

Just then the phone rang. Rakhi went and took the phone.

" Aakash your mother is calling " told Rakhi

" As expected the moment we stepped out Sobha Mausi would have called home. Go, and answer your mom" told Sreedhar to Aakash

Aakash went and took the phone. " Aakash what were you upto today. Why did you eat all the puris and gajar halwa. You know your Sreedhar Chachu like it a lot. Why didn't you share it with him"

" Maa I don't want Pakki didi as my chachi " told Aakash crying and everyone in the hall was stunned.

" Who told Pakki didi is going to be your Chachi" asked a bewildered Renu

" Then why did she make Puris and Gajar ka halwa for Chachu. In school my friend Neeti told her sister Neeta didi made ladoos because someone is coming to see her for marriage and ladoo is his favourite sweet. Puris and Gajar ka halwa is Sreedhar Chachu's favourite naa. So she is going to be my chachi. I don't want her. I don't want anyone from that house" he kept the phone down and rushed up the stairs crying.

" Aakash " shouted Renu through the phone only to realize he had kept the phone.

" What happened Renu. Who called " Renu turned and saw Maheswari who had returned from temple.

" Maa I don't know what happened" and she narrated what Aakash told and also about Sobha Mausi's call. She also told she will call Maheswari at night to speak to her.

" Let her call Renu. What needs to be spoken I will speak" told Maheswari

" Is Pakki didi going to be our chachi " asked Nami to Sreedhar

" No she is not. She will not. Your dadi wont allow it beta. I know it. Now all of you go up. Sreedhar beta come let us go to the big banyan tree near the Gowri temple and sit there for sometime. I feel you are stressed out,Vaishnav Poorni, and Rajdeep you also come. Suman bahu speak to Aakash. Rakhi and Raji take care of Nami and Adwaith" told Jaideep Mamu as he dispersed the assembly

=�����?j