Losses

August 16th was always a hard day for you. A day where you had lost your grandmother a few years prior. You were young when it happened but you were still close with her and everyday without her was hard on you. When this day rolled around every year you never really left your bed. It was impossible to put on a fake face and act like everything was okay when it wasn't. You told Demi pretty early on in your relationship. After all, it would've been impossible to hide it from her and she was pretty understanding about things like that.

And just like that, the day had arrived once again. You rolled over to find Demi wasn't in bed next to you and the curtains were closed, normally the sun would shine through them making you wake up but today it didn't, and part of you was really thankful for that. You looked at the picture that you kept on your nightstand of your grandmother and you ran your fingers over it, a tear falling from your eyes as your heart ached for just one more moment with her. Demi watched you from the doorway with a glass of water in the doorway. She wished that she could make this day easier on you because, fuck, she just loves you so much and it broke her heart seeing you so upset. She walked over to you and sat down next to you, placing the glass of water down in front of you and placing her hands on your arm. "You okay baby girl?" She regretted asking the question as soon as she said it, because obviously you weren't okay. "That was a dumb question. I'm sorry. Is there anything I can do for you baby?" Another tear slid down your cheek. You shook your head and placed the picture frame back down before laying back against the pillows and closed your eyes again, wanting to sleep the day away because it was just too hard on you. Demi simply nodded her head and kissed your forehead softly before standing up and grabbing her purse. "We need a few things from the store. I'll be back soon, okay? If you need me before I get back you can call me." You nodded your head and rolled over on your side away from her, your heart breaking even more but you hoped she wouldn't take it personally. She kissed the crown of your head before walking out of the room, letting you do whatever you needed to do until she got back, because she had a plan and she really hoped it would work.

Demi walked inside the house and was surprised when she heard the tv playing downstairs. She could see you from the kitchen and she smiled to herself. She held the things she'd picked up from the store for you behind her back, walking into the living room and sitting down next to you on the couch. She grabbed the remote and turned off the tv. You turned your face towards her and she bit her lip to fight back the tears when she saw that your cheeks were stained with tears, your cheeks damp and your eyes bloodshot. "Hey beautiful. I got you a couple things." You sniffled and wiped your cheeks, looking at her with watery eyes. She pulled out the things from behind her back; a bouquet of flowers and a plastic bag full of some of your favorite things. You gasped when you saw the flowers. They weren't just your favorites, but they were mixed with your grandmothers favorites. You looked up at Demi before moving closer to her and resting your head on her shoulder. "Thank you." You whispered softly against her shoulder and she couldn't help but smile. She rubbed your back and kissed your temple, placing the plastic bag on your lap. You opened it to find a few of your favorite things, along with a few of your grandmothers. A couple of her favorite cds, your favorite movie that she always watched with you, and your favorite candy - one that always made you feel a little better.

You dropped the bag on her lap and threw your arms around her neck, a couple tears sliding down your cheeks. "No ones ever done anything like this for me before. Thank you." She smiled and pulled up your chin with two of her fingers, stroking your cheek softly and wiping away the tears as they fell from your eyes. "Of course princess. It's what I'm here for. How about we make this day one that's less about pain and one that reminds you of good memories? Tell me about your grandma. What were some of your favorite things about her?" You looked down at her hoodie for a second, your fingers playing with the strings on them before you looked back up at Demi. "Well I love how she always made time for me and she never judged me. I love how she'd bake cookies with me at midnight and watch scary movies with me. I love how she'd take me to the park or she'd pick me up from school early because she knew I needed a break and sometimes, she'd just wanna spend time with me. I love how she'd always tell me that I was beautiful and that she knew I'd do great things in life." Demi smiled at you with every word you spoke, catching the tears that fell from your eyes with her thumbs. "I know you miss her, but she sounds like she was amazing. I'm sure she's looking down on you, so goddamn proud of who you've become. You're amazing y/n, I know she's proud of you." You leaned forward to kiss her cheek making Demi giggle and turn her face so she could kiss you softly. "I love you. Do you feel any better?" You nodded your head and rested your head on her shoulder. "Yeah, I do actually. I love you too. Thank you." Demi grabbed your hands and began to play with your fingers. "Anytime. Whenever you wanna talk about her, I'm always gonna be here to listen."