Anxiety and restless nights

A/N: so this is a bit of a long authors note but please read. I've been slacking with requests for all of my books and I'm so sorry. I'm going to be visiting my dad from June till October which will give me tons of time to get around to every single request and write so much more. Please be patient with me, I'm truly trying my hardest. I'm spending time with my family before I leave in the beginning of June because I won't see them for so long, so once I get back to my dads in just a couple weeks I will get around to all the requests for all of my books. I love you guys and appreciate you sticking around and being patient with me.

                         ————————

You could feel it as soon as you got home from work that late night. The time was past eight, three hours later than when you'd normally get home. Your boss had pressured you into working overtime and now you felt completely overwhelmed from the anxiety you were feeling after a long twelve hours at work.

Demi noticed right when you got home that night. There were bags underneath your eyes and they didn't sparkle like they normally did. She hugged you close to her and placed soft kisses on your skin, sighing sadly when you let go of her, telling her you just wanted to go to bed. She knew something was off and that you were overwhelmed. She hated knowing that you were feeling the way you were, wanting to take all of it away from you and shield you from all of the bad things in the world.

She let you have a few minutes in bed alone before going upstairs and joining you. The light was off and you were laying on your side of the bed with your back facing her side so she couldn't see your face. She brushed her teeth before crawling in bed next to you, kissing your shoulder and whispering out an I love you before she let herself drift off to sleep.

You, on the other hand, couldn't sleep. You were exhausted from being on your feet all day so you felt tired, but your mind wouldn't stop racing long enough to let you fall asleep. You began to think about your day at work with all the pressure you had felt. You loved having a job and being able to say that you made your own money, it made you feel independent and you longed for that, but fuck... you hated working at where you worked. Your coworkers always slacked off leaving you to do their jobs and your boss never cared, putting all the pressure on you and asking you to work ridiculous hours and treating you differently than everyone else. It made you feel bad about yourself and it was unfair, so so unfair.

The tears started to fall and your heart started to race, the feeling of everything going wrong suddenly appearing out of nowhere making you sit up and try to catch your breath. You couldn't breathe and you felt trapped. You looked over at Demi and as much as you hated doing it, you woke her up. You needed her. You needed to hear her tell you that she loved you and that everything would be okay. You needed the comfort that only she could give you. "Demi?" You shook her shoulder and released a heavy sigh when she started to move, her eyes opening just a crack before they closed. "What's wrong?" Her voice was coated with sleep and she kept her eyes closed but when she heard you let out a sob she shot right up, turning the lamp on and looking at you with a concerned expression. "Princess? What happened? Did you have a nightmare?" You shook your head before moving over to her, crawling on her lap and burying your face in her neck as your tears hit her skin.

She could hear you sobbing and noticed your hands were trembling, her body and mind instantly switching over to protective mode. She was no longer tired, she just cared about you; only you. Her hands ran up and down your back, her lips close to your ear as she whispered comforting words in your ear. "It's okay baby girl. I'm here, I'm right here. I've got you. You're safe princess." You swallowed thickly as sobs wrecked your body, your hands moving to grip onto Demi's soft hoodie tightly. "What's going on baby? You're so shook up, what happened?" You opened your mouth to say something, Demi noticed when your breath fanned over the skin of her neck but when nothing came out of your mouth she knew you were still too overwhelmed to speak. She laid back down and pulled you on top of her, your head resting on her chest and your ear right over her heart. The sound of her heartbeat always managed to calm you down despite how stressed or anxious you could be.

It took a while before you stopped crying and even longer for you to speak. Demi looked over at the clock and her eyes widened when it read 12am, but she didn't care. She'd stay awake all night with you if that's what it took. "Princess? Do you wanna tell me what happened?" Her voice was quiet and soft, nothing louder than a whisper but she knew you heard her. You took a shaky breath and kept your face tucked in her neck, sniffling as you tried to catch your breath. "I hate myself. I hate my job... my boss, my coworkers. I hate how I'm the only one of them working. I do my job and even theirs and it's like my boss doesn't give a single fuck about it. She knows that they constantly slack off and instead of telling them to do their job, she sticks me with longer hours and even more work. I hate it. I hate it so fucking much."

"Shhh. Okay baby girl, it's alright. Why do you still work there if all they do is take advantage of you?" You shrugged your shoulders, mumbling something along the lines of 'I like knowing I earn my own money' and 'I crave being independent'. She simply nodded her head, kissing the crown of yours as she slid her fingers under your shirt and let them run across your spine. She heard you sigh and looked down to see your eyes close, the feeling of anxiety starting to go away as Demi held you close.

You weren't sure when you fell asleep, all you knew was it was morning. The sun was shining through the curtains and you groaned when you thought of another day at hell on earth, aka, your job. You rolled over to find that Demi wasn't in bed and just as you were about to go downstairs to look for her you heard her voice in the hallway. "No. No, she's not coming back again. All you do is take advantage of my girlfriend and I'm not okay with that. She cried herself to sleep last night because you make her feel so overwhelmed. She deserves so much better than that and you. She quits. Goodbye."

She walked back in the bedroom and looked at you, both of you looking at each other with wide eyes. She feared you were gonna be upset at her but when you got out of bed and ran to her she giggled, happy to know that you were already noticeably feeling better. She picked you up in her arms and let you wrap your legs around her hips, your arms around her neck as you kissed her lips. She walked you back over to the bed, collapsing next to you as you smiled at each other. "You quit for me? You did that for me?" She nodded her head and kissed your cheek, stroking your messy hair and smiling when she saw the life returning in your eyes. "Of course I did. I hate seeing you so upset. I knew you probably wouldn't do it so I did it for you. I need my girl to be happy always. You deserve so much better than that." You were about to say something when the thought left your mind. You noticed that Demi was now the one with dark circles under her eyes, the kind you get after a sleepless night. "Demi, did you even sleep last night?" She shook her head and kissed your forehead, giggling when you folded your arms over your chest. "And why not?" "Because I was worried about you. Fuck sleep. I didn't need it last night. What I needed was knowing that you were safe and feeling calm enough to sleep. I've had lots of sleepless nights in my life, they're nothing new to me. I just wanted to make sure you were okay."

You shook your head and giggled at her, leaning forward to kiss her soft lips. "Thank you Demi. Thank you so much. Thank you for caring about me and for loving me so much." She smiled and laid down on her back, pulling you on top of her as you both laughed adorably. "It's my pleasure, Princess. Now that that's done and you are clearly feeling more like yourself, how about we go back to sleep? We'll talk more when we wake up." You nodded your head and crawled down her body a bit, resting your head on her stomach as her fingers ran through your hair. "I love you Demi." Her eyes were closed and you thought she might be sleeping, but when she smiled you knew she was awake still. "I love you so much more baby girl. Get some rest, my love."

And so you did. You fell asleep, finally feeling more at ease and relaxed than you've felt in months. You felt so lucky to have Demi and that she cares so much about you, always loving you through the good and bad and doing whatever it took to make sure you were okay.