Pidge and reader - Animal therapy

Requested by VulpixwithWings

You looked at the calendar in your room. "It's Pidge's birthday soon" You muttered. You thought of how to get your best friend a present. You were in dead space and going to another planet was a little risky now. A junkyard in space was the only place where you go without being detected. "What the heck am I going to give to Pidge from the junkyard?!" You thought aloud.

You paced back and forth in your room as you thought desperately for something to give or at least make for her. "A tool box? No... Some spare parts for her lion? I haven't don't even know how her Lion works... Oh! How about an android? Eh, no..." You muttered.

You continued to pace until you snapped your fingers, "I cannot think of anything!!" You screamed.

...

You sat at the dinner table, eating your meal silently. Your mind raced with ideas until it tired out to the point where you couldn't think at all. "So... How was your day guys?" You asked randomly.

"I've finally got my Lion fixed from the last fight we had from the Galra" Hunk answered.

"Didn't do much really, I trained for most of the day" Keith said.

"Hey does anyone know what the date is?" Pidge suddenly asked.

"Uh... (Date)" You answered.

"Oh! Okay, thanks" Pidge smiled. You looked at everyone and realised that no one knew Pidge's birthday was soon. Well, maybe Shiro did; he knows everything, but... They might not know! You frowned and realised that there was a slight chance that Pidge's birthday may not be celebrated! You quickly finished your meal and took it to the kitchen.

After washing your dishes, you quickly ran to your room and began brainstorming for a birthday present.

...

"Hey, Allura?" You said, walking into her bedroom.

"Yes (y/n)?" Allura answered.

"You don't happen to know any place where there is a safe junk yard do you?" You asked.

"Well there is one place I can think of, but why would you need to go there?" Allura asked quizzically.

"Well, it's Pidge's birthday really soon and I have an idea of what I want to give her" You answered.

"Pidges birthday is soon?!" Allura exclaimed.

"SHH!" You hushed. "Yes, it is soon."

"We must preparations at once! A paladin's birthday is to be celebrated ceremonially correct!" Allura gasped, running out of the room.

"Actually, saying it that way, her birthday is pretty important" You commented, rushing after her. "Allura wait! You didn't tell me where the junkyard was!" You called after her. You looked out into the empty hall, her tapping footsteps out of your range of hearing. "Darn it!" You growled, stomping your foot.

...

"This is crazy" You growled, gripping the controls of your pod. "Allura doesn't tell me where the junkyard is and I spend a whole twenty minutes just trying to figure out how to activate the galaxy map on! I didn't even know that the galaxy was that big! How the heck was I supposed to know what the difference between an asteroid field and a junkyard from a map like that?!"

You swerved around another asteroid before clearing free from the field. "I am the dumbest space pilot ever to be existent" You sighed, resting your head on the controls. You growled and jerked your head back into the seat, reminded of the close quarters of your ship. It would take another person to officially squish you into the walls of your pod.

You switched your map on and searched for a nearby junkyard. "Come on, come on, there has to be a junkyard somewhere. Where was the one we ran into before?" You muttered. "Aha! There it is!" You exclaimed. You increased the screen and examined the coordinates. "What?! It's three hours away! UGH!" You bit your tongue, using all your strength not to curse.

"Quiznack!" You cried. You swerved your ship around and returned back to the castle. You muttered to yourself the entire way. You landed the pod perfectly and marched back to your room. On the way to your room, you noticed a large pile of parts. A note hung on one of the pieces:

"I hope you enjoy these!"

- Allura

"I didn't have to travel three hours to go there and back endlessly in space to find this?!! Was this here the entire time?!?!? WWWWHHHHAAATTTT??!?!" You screeched.

...

For the next 120 hours (5 days) you worked until your hands and body hurt. Only going with four or six hours, if you were lucky, of sleep, large meals and cups of space coffee. Pidge's presents were going to be magnificent. After major setbacks, refines and fixes, you had masterpieces standing before you in beautiful wrapping paper. "I wish someone would make me presents like this" You grinned, proudly looking at your creations.

Allura had organised a ceremonially correct party to properly celebrate Pidge's birthday. The table was set with elegant cutlery, dishes and decorations. You wondered where all this came from in the first place. Hunk was restricted from the kitchen once Allura stepped in, being the traditionalist she was.

Paladins were to where their uniform and Allura got you to wear a 'hideous' dress. In the last hour, you switched clothing. Knowing Allura would behead you without a thought if you wore casual clothing, you wore a more warrior's attire with a simple dress that reached your knees. The sleeves only managed to tip the edge of your elbows. Underneath, you wore tights and long sleeves and pulled your hair up with a braid (If you had short hair, you fixed it up real nice for Pidge).

When you stepped out, Allura iced you a glare, but your smiled knowing that there was nothing she could do because the previous look took you both two hours.

Allura flattered Pidge with fanfare, speeches, luxurious treatment and... PRESENTS!!!

You had watched the Paladins, Allura and Coran lavish her with gifts, but you knew that yours was the best. Everyone gave her tools, gadgets, clothes and building materials, but you knew her the best. Deep down, you could see that Pidge wasn't happy. Everyone knew her only skin deep.

When it was your turn to present your gift. You gave Pidge a hug and let out a shrill whistle. A few seconds of silence drifted around until the soft patter of footsteps began to echo growing louder and louder. Pidge's eyes widened as she saw three robotic animals run towards her.

Two dogs and a cat ran towards Pidge. You had worked your heart into these things making them as realistic as possible. You had a few more upgrades to add in, but for now, they were perfect.

"Oh my gosh!" Pidge cried, falling back on her rear. The dogs began drizzling her with licks and kisses while the cat sat on her lap purring. Pidge began laughing and got the dogs to sit.

"How did you manage to make them look so real? There's even fur on these things!" Pidge exclaimed.

"It took a while to get the fur and stuff on, just be reassured that no live animals were harmed during the process of making these things" You grinned.

"Oh that's good," Pidge said, realising that the fur on the androids could have been taken from another living being.

"But I hope you like it, Happy Birthday Pidge" You smiled.

Pidge shot up and pulled you into a tight hug, "I love it, thank you (y/n). You're the best friend ever!"