Keith x reader - The Red paladin

WARNING! CONTAINS THE DEATH OF A BELOVED PALADIN!

Ages had passed sense the rescue mission for Allura. It happened so fast. All five Paladins, including you, were just about to board the ship when a lightening streak suddenly struck the ship and wormhole causing every single lion to become lost in outer space.

"Keith" You said, shaking Keith awake. "Keith! Wake up! You have to wake up!" You panicked. Keith woke up with a jolt and gasped in shock. Keith was unconscious and had fallen off the pilot's seat when Hagar struck the wormhole and ship. "Keith we need to go now!" You exclaimed. Keith, still a little dazed, shot up and piloted the two of you away from... Whatever you were panicking about.

"What are we running away from? The Galra aren't here" Keith asked.

"Keith, we were running away from that" You said, pointing into the horizon. Stretching from end of the planet to the other, lay a vast field of volcanoes and lava lakes. Keith was surely awake now after seeing how close they were to being turned into molten rock. He swerved up and around until we steered clear from the surface of that deadly planet.

"Thanks (y/n)" Keith sighed, sinking into his seat.

"Not to ruin this moment, but do you know where we are?" You asked. Keith straightened up and checked his ship's map. "I've got no idea what to do here. We never got that far in training with our lions. Right now, all I know how to do is pilot Red and fight" Keith sighed. You held your tongue at the news and simply nodded your head in acknowledgement. "I hate it when you do that" Keith grumbled. "Do what?" You asked. "Just nod your head and say nothing else!" Keith answered. "What's so bad about that?" You asked nervously, slightly turning away from Keith.

"It's so stressing! When you nod with a blank face and never say anything to explain why you are acting like that it makes my mind go crazy!" Keith moaned, face palming himself with both hands. You frowned at this... Procrastination and turned your attention to another problem other than the dynamics of your relationship with Keith. "Keith," You said, laying a land on his shoulder. "I'm sorry I made you stress out like that, but what we need to focus on right now is getting out of here and finding a planet that's sustainable" You said as patiently as possibly.

...Months later...

Keith's POV

"Keith... If I don't make it... You will lead the team"

Those words haunted me. After so long, (y/n) and I finally found Shiro and his lion, but he was critically injured and close to the point of death. (y/n) was taking care of him now inside a house that we made in a forest planet. Shiro's lion crash-landed in the deserted parted of the planet, only a few kilometres from our base actually. I heaved a sigh and looked behind me where the house was. "(y/n) won't mind me taking a spin" Keith shrugged, hoping that his thinking was right. Otherwise, he would be in big trouble.

I flew over to Shiro's lion and walked up to the snout of his lion. I extended his hand and touched the side of the lion's face. "I don't know if you will trust me, but I came to tell you that... Shiro might not make it... I don't want him to leave and I'm scared of leading the team, but I need you to bear with me in case... Shiro... Dies" My voice started to crack as I chocked on tears that started to swell all around my eyes.

Third person POV

(y/n) took care of Shiro as best as she could, but without a healing pod or proper medical supplies... His fate was already sealed. You cupped his face as he and his body struggled to recover. You gently lifted his torso and helped him take in a few sips of water to keep his hydrated.

"(y/n)" Shiro said, with a voice so loud that is scared you. "Yeah Shiro?" You answered. "I probably won't make it" Shiro whispered. "No! You're going to make it! You're going to live and you're going to be there when Lance, Hunk, Pidge, Coran and Allura find us" (y/n) said sternly. "(y/n), look at me. Does it look like I'm going to last that long?" Shiro asked (y/n).

Suddenly Shiro passed out and panicked (y/n). She quickly checked his pulse and hovered a hand over his nose to check his breathing. "Stable" You sighed, almost passing out on yourself from that shock. "Don't ever do anything like that Shiro" (y/n) growled, "If you die then it won't affect just me, it's going to affect Keith and the rest of the team."

... (Sorry guys!)...

It wasn't long before Shiro's time was up. It was before you and Keith had even the slightest trace of the team's position or activities. Shiro's death hit both of you hard, but it hit Keith the hardest. Now, Keith was the leader of the team and the pilot of the Black Lion.

Keith lost his connection with Red when Shiro died and now, he was bonded with Shiro's lion. "Whose going to pilot Red?" You asked, sitting next to Keith as he stared into the ocean. "I've been thinking about that" Keith said. "And I think we have no choice, but to choose you to pilot Red" Keith turned his head to you being dead serious. "Wait me?!" You exclaimed. "Keith I'm not ready for that" You gasped. "Neither was I when I became a Paladin, but right now the Galra are on the loose while we've been sitting here. And now, Shiro's dead! Do you think I'm ready even now?!" Keith roared, staring at you.

You quickly tore your gaze from Keith's eyes. Your heart was beating fast. You knew that this was going to happen eventually, but now... It seemed so real. "Keith," You began, returning your gaze to Keith. Keith looked into the distance and nodded his head in acknowledgement. You slightly laughed at his antic. "Giving me the stressing nod" You giggled.

You shuffled closer to Keith and wrapped your arms around his waist, pulling him closer to you as Keith's head rolled onto your shoulder. "I know you're not ready, frankly I don't think anyone was ready for Shiro's death, but let's do this together. After all, when we get back, Coran is going to make us work as a team anyway" You jested, doing your best to cheer Keith up.

Keith replied with silence. You tried to think hard on how to cheer Keith up and decided that all you could do was support and love him. You cupped your hand over Keith's face and gave him a sweet kiss. Keith, in turn, cupped your face and pulled him closer to you. "Keith, I love you." That's all you could say. Everything else that could have been said would have just ruined the moment. "I love you too (y/n), thank you" Keith whispered.

You were the Red Paladin now. Piloting Keith's old Lion. It took a while and a near death experience to prove yourself worthy, but it worked out. Keith was the leader of the Paladins now, much to Lance's annoyance. At first he wasn't the best leader like Shiro, but in the end, he turned out to be exactly like him. Keith followed his example and took Shiro's lessons to heart.

And you followed him as the Red Paladin.