Hunk x reader - Sacrifice

Inspired by minecraft video 'Calamity' by Black Plasma Studio. This story plot is not mine.

"Hunk how are we doing?" You asked, checking the ship's stats.

"Looking good (y/n)" Hunk replied.

"That's good to hear because-" You stopped midsentence as the ship shook violently. "What was that?!" You exclaimed.

"The ship's been hit!" Hunk cried.

"How bad?" You asked.

"There's something wrong with the engine" Hunk replied. "I think it was an asteroid," Hunk said.

"Asteroid" You whispered. A list of theories of what could have happened to the ship's engine ran through your mind until one specific idea reached you. However, it would take a live man to do the job in order to fix the problem.

"Hunk I need you to strap in and promise me that you will stay there the entire time" You ordered.

"Wait (y/n), what are you doing?" Hunk asked anxiously.

"I'm going to fix the problem" You replied.

"Wait what?!" Hunk exclaimed.

"The circuit boards stuck and something's probably in the fuel line. I'll work it from the inside just strap in so that you won't be whiplashed by the blast" You said, lying about the problem.

"Oh ok," Hunk answered, strapping himself in.

"Promise me that you'll live another day" You whispered.

You walked over to the end of the ship and geared yourself up to go into space. Hunk recognised the sounds of clanking suits and turned around to check what you were up to. "Hey (y/n)? What are you doing?" Hunk asked, peering over his shoulder. "No! (Y/n)!" Hunk exclaimed. You quickly smashed a button that turned the ship in zero gravity. Hunk immediately started to float midair. "(Y/n) what are you doing?" Hunk asked.

"Saving your life" You answered. "Hunk the ship is leaking out carbon monoxide into the air system. If I don't fix the problem now you won't live" You urged.

"But what's the point of living if I don't have the person I love with me?" Hunk blurted out. You widened your eyes at his protest but smiled.

"What's the point of loving someone if you're not willing to sacrifice yourself for that person?" You asked in reply.

Hunk didn't reply because he couldn't answer. You smiled and gently pushed him back to the front of the ship and turned the gravity on. You quickly exited the ship before Hunk could scramble from the floor to you.

Slowly you carefully floated into outer space and quickly examined the problem. The pipe was leaking. It was a simple problem, but the solution was... Dangerous. Carbon monoxide is extremely flammable and in order to seal the pipe you had the weld it. The hole was small so one spark would be enough to seal the pipe. You pulled out the weld from your belt and aimed it precisely at the pipe. "For Hunk" You whispered. "(Y/n) don't!" You heard Hunk scream into your commlink. The second you heard his voice you pushed the button.

The weld activated, the carbon monoxide exploded and the pipe was sealed. The blast was enough to push you and ship away from each other. Because of the zero gravity, you were pushed away the hardest. You gasped upon impact and tensed when you heard the eerie sound of hissing. Your oxygen tank was compromised. As you sailed into the nothingness of space you flashed back on your memories. Might as well right? You were about to die in space in an attempt to save your friend. It was a noble death. At least you died knowing that your friend would live another day.

Little did you know that your sacrifice helped save the universe by providing Voltron with its leg. Without Hunk someone else would have had to pilot the yellow lion. And without the caring yellow lion, there would be no Voltron. Your sacrifice helped save the universe. And it was all because you cared for your friend.

Hey guys! Sorry for the last updates, I've been running out of ideas lately and I've done all of your requests! Please comment some of your requests, scenarios or head cannons to help me! I love writing these one-shots and I don't want to stop!

Also, I apologise for the stream of sad one-shots, but the next one I am about to post is happy so don't expect another tissue grabbing one-shot!

Cheerio! <3