Making Plans

We sat in a circle in a room provided in the palace.

Mogui was still moping about there not being anything about Amaya and the fact that we all but confirmed that home wasn't there anymore. Muteki was quiet. I think he might be coming to grips with that too.

I know I am. I'm going to miss my family, my twin... I barely managed to catch the tear that slipped by.

"I can't believe it," Aang said, reading his scroll over and over again.

I guess it wouldn't matter if we'd even gotten anything anyway. I can't read, apparently. Who'da thunk? I'm illiterate.

"A man is living at the Eastern Air Temple," Aang continued. "He says he's a Guru."

"What's a Guru?" Sokka questioned, scratching the back of his head. "Some kind of poisonous blowfish?"

"Guru's are usually enlightened individuals, though sometimes they can be... eccentric," Muteki said, barely stirring.

"Yeah," Aang said eagerly. "He says he wants to help me take the next step in the Avatar journey. He says he can teach me to control the Avatar State."

"And I can't believe we know where our Dad is now," Katara said happily, as she held up the report to reread it.

"I know what you mean," Toph said, holding her own scroll close to her chest. "My Mom's in the city, and from her letter, it sounds like she finally understands me."

"That's real swell, guys," Mogui said, forcing a huge grin. "Go, team!"

"Oh," Katara's face fell. "I'm sorry, you guys didn't get any good news back there, did you?"

"It's fine," I said gently. "We already suspected our home was gone for good. This was... closure, you know?"

"But..." Aang frowned.

"She's right," Mogui insisted. "I mean, I didn't know... but I had a feeling. Right now, we're just worried about Amaya."

"She would still be with Zuko, right?" Katara questioned. "I don't think she'd be in the city if that were the case."

"That's where we worry," Muteki admitted. "If she's not here, where is she? Is she still with Zuko? If not, is she ok?"

"Why wouldn't she be?" Sokka asked.

"She's directionally challenged," I sighed. "If she isn't with someone who knows where they're going, she could be in the Fire Lord's bathroom without realising it."

"Sounds like we should really hope she's with Zuko then," Sokka chuckled. "Considering it would be difficult to find her otherwise."

"She's fine," I said, knowing somehow that it was true. "We'll run into her eventually."

"Yeah, Aang's personal stalker wouldn't let him down by not stalking him," Muteki joked.

"But with all this," Sokka indicated to the messages they'd received. "Where do we even start?"

"I hate to say it, but..." Katara sighed. "We have to split up."

"Split up?" Aang said, distraught. "We just found Appa and got the family back together. Now you want us to separate?"

"You have to meet this Guru, Aang," Katara said firmly.

"True," Mogui said, coming in closer to join the discussion. "If we're really going to take on one of the strongest military powers in the world, Eclipse or no, we need you to be at your best."

"Well, if I'm going to the Eastern Air Temple, Appa and I can drop you at Chameleon Bay to see your Dad," Aang grinned.

"Someone has to stay here with the Earth King and help him plan for the invasion," Sokka sighed as he stood. "I guess that's me?"

"Dude, what are we, chopped liver?" Mogui demanded.

"I know how badly you want to help dad, Sokka," Katara said, standing as well. "Jin and I can stay here with the Earth King while you and Mogui go to dad."

"What, why can't I stay with Jin?" Mogui demanded.

"It makes sense," Jin said. "You're a... person they should at least know about. Katara knows the plan, and I know something about strategy."

"So do I!"

"Running at something and screaming is not a strategy," Muteki said, bonking Mogui playfully on the head.

"Works for me."

"That leaves Muteki to go with Toph to meet her mom," Jin said.

"You guys... are the nicest... friends... ever!" Sokka gushed, doing a strange little dance then hugging and kissing Katara's cheek. "AND YOU'RE THE BEST SISTER!"

"Easy there, big brother," Katara said, pushing him back, though looking pleased. "Though you're right. I am."

"We are pretty great, aren't we?" Mogui grinned.

"Ok, bring it back down," I joked. "Your ego is gonna make you fly away if you're not careful."

"Ouch felt that in my man feelings," Mogui said, putting on an exaggerated hurt expression.

"You'll live," I sighed, rolling my eyes at him.