The Grin and I

A/N: So you'll notice, there have been a bunch of uploads, and then it suddenly went quiet for a day or two.  That is because I've been waiting for SashaL's contribution to this part.  IT IS HERE.  And for anyone who has decided to do fanart for this stuff just for the heck of it, I'm keen to see what you have ;)  Also, for those random ships besides those already declared (an awful lot of Mog/Amaya, Mog/Jin, Muteki/Jin going around xD), I would love to hear if you guys secretly ship any of them with characters from other fandoms.  Also, a word from our other esteemed writer.

A/N2: Well. Aren't I a sight for sore eyes! Long time no ocean. Oh, sea. Sorry, wrong sea? See! Right, I'd get it eventually. Anyhow. Here's a chapter written by your very own Elder Sasha L. On another note, I have 260 Disney songs. That's about 15-20 hours of music, without the same song playing twice. And I was listening to it while doing this. But! On to the Avatold!  

So, we were packed into a monorail boxcar, and it was hot, and I was sat next to this sweaty old guy. But at least the scenery was nice, if not the smell. Rolling fields dominated the landscape between the outer wall and the inner one. Jin sat opposite me, so I had a good view out the window and right opposite me.

"Look, the inner wall," Katara gasped as she noticed the big grey slab in the distance. "I can't believe we finally made it to Ba Sing Se in one piece."

"Hey, don't jinx it!" Sokka complained. "We could still be attacked by some giant, exploding Fire Nation spoon. Or find out the city's been submerged in an ocean full of killer shrimp."

"You been hitting the cactus juice again?" Toph asked. 

Muteki chuckled.

"Hey," I shrugged. "It was actually really quenchy..." Then putting on a voice, "Nothing's quenchier! It's the quenchiest!"

"I'm just sayin'," Sokka turned away slightly. "Weird stuff happens to us."

We stopped to pick up other passengers along the way. It wasn't fun. Aang must have shared my sentiment as he looked out the window, then closed his eyes sadly.

"Don't worry, Aang," Katara tried to comfort him. "We'll find Appa."

"It's such a big city," Aang sighed back.

"He's a giant bison," Sokka would have waved his arms enthusiastically, except he was wedged between Muteki and me. 

"Where could someone possibly hide him?" Then he saw the city wall pass below us. "Oh."

Ba Sing Se stretched far as the eye could see and was riddled with many roads and buildings. Our car finally came to a stop at the monorail station. We tumbled out amid the throng of other people, and Jin had to grab my collar to stop me from wandering off with the crowd.

Toph groaned. "Back in the city. Great."

"What's the problem?" Sokka seemed confused. "It's amazing!"

"Eh, I prefer having a bit of greenery around me," I wrinkled my nose at the smell of the city. "Forests, lakes, oceans... A bit of land to call my own and a pretty lady to share it with..." 

It just so happened that I was looking towards Jin... So Muteki slugged me on the shoulder. Then Jin proceeded to glare at Muteki, muttering something about being able to slug me herself.

"Ba Sing Se is just a bunch of walls and rules," Toph complained. "Just like every other city. You wait; you'll get sick of it in a couple of days."

"He's here," Aang said just loud enough for me to hear. "I can feel it."

"Who's here?" I asked.

Muteki clipped me over the back of the head... Again... Then I noticed the Bison Whistle in his hand.

It wasn't long before we were approached by one of the city officials. She looked around thirty, but that creepy grin... Her long black hair waved with the wind, but that grin... I saw someone do something similar when he was trying to imitate Joker... Wait, what?!

"Hello, my name is Joo Dee," creepy dudette grinned. "I have been given the great honour of showing the Avatar around Ba Sing Se." She bowed to Aang. "And you must be Sokka, Katara, and Toph. Welcome to our wonderful city. Shall we get started?"

"You forgot us!" I complained.

Jin cracked me in the ribs with an elbow.

"Ah, yes," Joo Dee bowed to us. "I am not familiar with your names."

"Muteki," the giant nodded. His face was a slate of granite. Hard and unreadable. "These are Jin and Mogui."

"Jin," the grin mused, looking at the girl by my side. "Is that short for something? Jinora, perhaps?"

"No, just Jin," She was deadpanning too. These two were scaring me almost as much as this ever-present grin.

"Shall we get started?" Joo Dee asked again.

"Yes!" Sokka said, clapping his hands, attempting to show he was taking charge. "We have information about the Fire Nation army that we need to deliver to the Earth King immediately."

"Great, let's begin our tour," the grin grinned. "And then I'll show you to your new home here. I think you'll like it."

She tried walking away.

"Augh! Maybe you missed what I said," Sokka said, stepping out in front of her. "We need to talk to the King about the war. It's important."

"You're in Ba Sing Se now," Joo Dee's grin said as sweetly as insanity could. "Everyone is safe here."

"I think she's been hitting the cactus juice," I whispered to Muteki.

He cracked me in the ribs on the other side, and his expression changed from stone to something along the lines of 'we'll talk about this later.'

We were packed into another monorail box. This one took us out over the cityscape, much like the postal system in Omashu did. Only this city wasn't nearly as pretty. And it was missing the beautiful girl too. I mean, Jin's alright. Pretty even. Probably a nine out of ten with her personality included. Katara is an eight out of ten, I'd say.  Amaya would be a solid nine out of ten. Nine point five. Not over, a nine-point eight!  But compared to Ty Lee! Well, when the sun comes out, the stars fade to nothing. Muteki would get a ten out of ten... for how much I didn't want to date him. Still don't, as far as I know.

At some point, Joo Dee and her grin decided to give us a bit of commentary about the walls and why they were there. Katara kept asking questions, which kept the grin talking. Joo Dee, however, had a glazed over look about her. Real bright girl... She just needs to learn how to not Sheldon Smile...

Wait... What?!

Aang was also looking out over the city, seemingly deep in thought.

"This is why I never came here before," he responded to something I hadn't been listening to. "I always heard it was so different from the way the monks taught us to live."

I returned to staring at the city below. Wait! Was that? No... Her hair is the wrong colour... It couldn't be. Not an ice creams chance in an Arizonian primary school. Amaya...