Broken Cups

Iroh had finally agreed to get some sleep while I cleaned some cups. Zuko was just in the next room, sleeping fitfully.

"Ahh!"

Zuko's sudden scream startled me, causing me to throw the cup in my hand accidentally.

It smashed on the roof, causing me to scream as shards of the cup fell into my hair.

There was a surprised cry from Iroh's room, followed by a heavy thump.

"Oh shivers," I muttered, shaking out my hair to get the worst out. 

 Who do I check on first? Iroh probably fell and might need help... But Zuko started all this, so I should check on him as well.

"Amaya, are you ok?" Iroh yelled.

"Fine! There was a ... spider... yeah...." I called back. "Are you ok?"

There was a sleepy chuckle, and a sheepish Iroh peeked out of his room. "I'm alright, though I might have a magnificent bruise later."

"I'll fix you some tea then," I laughed as the old man returned to his room.

I peered into the room Zuko was in to see him touching his scar shakily, breathing heavily.

"Hey, you ok?" I whispered, slipping in. "Scared me there," I laughed, kneeling next to him.

He didn't seem to hear me, so I reached out and lightly touched his shoulder.

"Hey, Zuko?"

Nothing. I shook his shoulder lightly.

Was he sleeping with his eyes open? That's kinda creepy. No judging, Gandalf did it too.

Wait, who the hell is Gandalf?

Apparently, someone who sleeps with his eyes open.

Oops, getting off track again.

I reached out and touched his chin, turning his face to look at me, snapping my fingers in front of his eyes. "Hey!"

He blinked, his eyes focusing on me at last.

"How are you feeling?" I asked, frowning slightly. 

I'm really worried right now. I mean, even when I zone out, I still sort of respond to people. Usually. Not the point.

"There's something in your hair," he said, dazedly reaching to get it.

"Ah," I said, ducking away. "I smashed a cup by accident earlier, and now it's in my hair. I'll get it later, don't worry."

He stared for a moment before touching his scar again.

"Something wrong?"

"No... nothing..."

I pulled a face, then gently pushed him back. "Get some rest. You're still a little feverish."

He grabbed my hand, even as his eyes were drifting again. "Please... don't go..."

....That was adorable.

"Sure," I said cheerfully. 

As he fell asleep again, I picked the cup bits from my hair while humming a cheery tune under my breath.