Back at the encampment...

There was rumbling and crashing while Katara and I sat in her room and played various little games that we had managed to find. Well, Katara was teaching me, but it mostly ended up being a discussion of various things.
"I wonder what crazy thing they're trying now," Katara said in a bored tone.
"I have a bad feeling," I muttered, looking up as another tremor shook the building, causing dust to fall from the cracks.
"Maybe we should go check if Aang's ok," Katara suggested, sliding off her bed and heading for the door.

As soon as we got out, we realised something was definitely amiss. We saw Sokka running down from the other side.
"What's going on!?" I demanded as we reached the bottom of the stairs.
"The general's gone crazy!" Sokka exclaimed, jogging on the spot as we caught up. "He's trying to force Aang into the Avatar State!"
"Damnit," I growled, igniting my fists. "I knew this was a stupid idea."

We jumped into the fray, Sokka's boomerang taking out two men, while Katara water whipped another. I took down three men before I found myself up to my neck in the ground.
"Maybe you can avoid me!" I heard Fong yell as I struggled to get free. "But they can't."
I turned my head to see Katara trapped and stuck up to her knees in the earth.
"Katara!" I yelled, struggling harder to escape.
I remembered something Amaya had muttered, something about "Breath of Fire saved their lives," and I recalled how Master Jeong Jeong had said something similar. I took a deep breath and turned my head to Fong, concentrating all my bending into a stream of fire that erupted from my mouth. He blocked it, and I sank further into the ground until I could barely see over it.

I could see Aang was close to tears, pleading with the General as Katara sank lower. Before long, the last thing I heard or saw was Katara shouting, "Aang, I'm sinking!" and then I sank beneath the earth.