Let's Fly!

Appa landed us on a small islet in the centre of the lake, with us trying to come up with plans for our next move. Aang clung to the bison's brow, having a moment with his buddy while we sat near the water's edge.

Katara, Toph, and Jin were all sitting together, some sisterhood thing or something. Muteki was skipping stones, and me?

I'm still trying to find a stone.

"No fair! You earthbent yours!"

"Didn't know it was a competition," Muteki laughed. "Sides, I'm trying to see what size, shape, and smoothness is best for stone skipping. Gotta make 'em work, see?"

"Ugh," I groaned, flopping onto my back. "I'll make sand angels. Don't need bending for that!"

Sokka came over to our little group, a confident bounce in his step.

"Look, we escaped from the Dai Li; we got Appa back," he started. "I'm telling you, we should go to the Earth King now and tell him our plan. We're on a roll."

"One good hour after weeks of trouble isn't much of a roll," Katara pointed out critically.

"Depends on the steepness of the hill we're rolling down," Muteki retorted, throwing another one.

"Forty-two skips, your new record," Jin said blandly.

"Hmm," Muteki responded.

"Guys, come on, we can build on it!" Sokka insisted.

"You can't exactly build anything on a rolling boulder," I cut in. "You get squished in the first rotation."

"Look, if we want to invade the Fire Nation when the eclipse happens, we need the Earth King's support," Sokka threw me an annoyed look. 

I grinned with a shrug.

"What makes you think we'll get it?" Toph questioned. "I don't know if you've noticed, but things don't usually go that smoothly for our little gang."

"I know, but I've got a good feeling about this," Sokka insisted. "This time will be different."

"Careful, you know how Muteki feels about things going too well," I piped up. 

This time, a pebble stung my foot. "Ow!"

"Oops, too much on the backswing."

"Jerk," I muttered, rubbing my foot. "Need new shoes too."

"If you guys hadn't noticed," Jin said, pulling us back on track. "Long Feng controls the Earth King. He's a puppet, remember?"

"Jin's right," Katara added. "Long Feng is in control, not the Earth King. He's already made it clear he won't help. Let's keep flying and leave this horrible place behind us."

"I'm with sweetness," Toph piped up. "I've seen enough of Ba Sing Se."

"But you can't see," I pointed out.

"EXACTLY!" she yelled, waving her arms madly.

"Where else are we gonna get back up, though?" Muteki finally decided to give some input to the discussion, it seems. "From the sounds of it, the North Pole is still recovering from an invasion, and the South Pole forces could be anywhere. Our only option is Earth Kingdom forces, and for that, we need the Earth King."

"Yeah, and since we have Appa back, nothing is stopping us from telling the Earth King the truth about the conspiracy and the war," Aang was joining us too, it seemed.

"See! Aang and Muteki are with me!" Sokka threw an arm over Aang's shoulders, grinning. 

But not before he shot me a look that screamed "betrayer!"

"The whole reason we came here was to make contact," Muteki said, folding his arms. "So let's make contact!"

"Well, I guess if the Earth King knew the truth, then things could change," Katara said slowly.

"I don't trust the new positive Sokka," Toph jumped to her feet and pointed accusingly. "Long Feng brainwashed you, didn't he!?"

"Muteki is also suspiciously positive," I added.

Aang noticed something in the distance and moved closer to the water's edge to get a better look.

I joined him, holding my hands up to my eyes like binoculars. "I spy with my little eye..."

"Boats," Jin said before I had the chance to say anything.

"Coulda been water," I retorted grumpily. "Or rocks, but you had to guess the answer before I could say anything."

Jin rolled her eyes at me with a frustrated sigh. "Dai Li are on our tail, we need to make a decision, and we need to make it now."

"Alright, all voting for seeing the Earth King, say aye!" I yelled.

"Aye!" we all said in unison.