Party Hard

We had been standing in line for some time, with several high-class citizens lined up ahead of us. The palace gates loomed above us as a guard admitted people inside. The group ahead of us held up an invitation.

"So, how far ahead have you guys thought out this plan?" I questioned from behind my fan, fluttering it lightly to avoid people noticing our little chat.

"The Beifong seal should get us past here," Toph answered confidently.

"And if it doesn't?"

"Outraged high-class snob," Muteki said with a low rumble.

When it was finally our turn, we stepped forward.

"Invitation, please," the guard said with a bored tone.

"I think this will do," Toph said, holding up the official seal of the Beifong family.

"No entry without an invitation," he said, that bored tone never wavering. "Step out of line, please."

'Here goes nothing...' I thought to myself as plan B kicked into motion.

"Look, the Pangs and the Yum Soon Hans are waiting in there for us," Toph said, sounding irritated. "I'm going to have to tell them who didn't let me in."

"Step out of line, please," he responded, unyielding.

"Please, sir," I piped up, fanning myself and batting my eyelashes coyly. "Couldn't you make an exception? My dear friend here simply took the wrong document. We forgot to check before we left."

The guard sighed, flushing lighting as he scratched the back of his head.

"I'm sorry, Miss, but no exceptions," he said, casting his eyes down.

I sighed, hiding my face behind the fan slightly. 'I can't believe I got as far as I did with that...'

"I understand," I said dejectedly. "Thank you, and I'm sorry for the trouble."

I bowed politely and waved for the others to follow.

As we stepped away from the line, the sound of a carriage grabbed our attention. A high ranking official stepped out of the carriage, and two guards bowed to him. Katara smiled and looked over at us.

I had a really bad feeling about this. I shook my head slightly. This was a terrible idea. But Katara wouldn't be swayed, and she caught Toph's arm and pulled her towards the official. Muteki and I exchanged a quick glance, and we followed slightly behind them.

"Sir, I'm sorry to bother you, but my cousin lost our invitations," she leaned forward and whispered to him. "She's blind."

She straightened up. "Our bodyguard and his sister are with us. Do you think you could help us? Our family is inside, and I'm sure they're very worried."

He smiled and bowed his head. "I am honoured. Please come with me."

I smiled politely and dipped my head as we followed him towards the entrance. The guard bowed to us as we headed into the palace. As we were walking in, Toph and Katara made faces at the guard's back. I tapped them with my fan, giving them a fierce look.

"Please, manners," I said firmly.

Once we entered the hall, we were greeted by great arched roofs, brightly lit and many brightly dressed guests.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" our benefactor said charmingly. "By the way, I'm Long Feng. I'm the cultural minister to the king."

Before Katara or Toph could speak, I cut in with a well-timed chuckle. "Sounds like an interesting job. Certainly, Ba Sing Se is a cultural marvel."

Long Feng smiled proudly. "It is, indeed. You are a fascinating woman, miss...?"

I had to think fast—a believable name. 

 "Lin." 

Nailed it.

"Where is the family of your charges, I wonder? I'd love to meet them."

"Um..." Katara panicked visibly. "I don't see 'em right now. But I'm sure we'll find them soon-"

"You don't see them," I corrected. "Please forgive their terrible manners. I've been charged with teaching them etiquette, and yet I don't think my lessons have stuck too well."

"Not at all," he said charmingly. "And do not worry, as your escort, it would be dishonourable to abandon you, ladies, without finding your families first. We'll keep looking."

I smiled and looked over to Muteki, holding my fan up so that Long Feng wouldn't be able to see my mouth.

I'll distract him. Get to work.