Out on the porch

Jin and I were helping Iroh and Song's mother clean some dishes while Zuko brooded outside. Song went off to maybe comfort him, which I knew was just going to make him feel guilty. So I convinced Jin to distract Iroh while I chatted to Song's mother.
"I apologise if Song made you uncomfortable at dinner," the old woman began.
"Not at all," I chirped. "When you've been around Lee for as long as I have, you soon learn which subjects are touchy and which are ok."
"But you mentioned you and your friend didn't remember your fathers. You must have been very young then."
"Not really," I set down the bowl I had been drying. "I remember being around the age I am now and talking to my dad, but I don't remember when or where. It's really weird, like...." I took a deep breath. "Like bits of myself are missing."
Song's mother set down the dish she had been drying as well and put a hand on my shoulder. "I'm sure your family must be searching for you right now."
Not likely, lady. They're in a whole nother world, and it feels like I'm here to stay. I give her a small smile.

"I hate to impose on you after all the help you've already given us, but could you help us a little more?"
"Of course, dear, what is it you need?"
"Well, Mushi is getting older, and we have a long way to go," I said slowly. "Walking all that way can't be too good for his old bones. Do you know anyone who would sell us an Ostrich Horse?"
Song's mother seemed to be deep in thought for a moment. "Take ours. It might not be much, but it will help until you can find someplace to stay."
"Oh, I couldn't!" I gasped, throwing up my hands. "I can't just take your things, not after everything you've done for us!"
"Please, I insist."

I took a deep breath and removed a pendant I had managed to save before going on the run. "Then at least take this as payment," I held it out to her.
It was a pretty pendant, with a green gem in it, and far as I knew, only a little bit expensive.
"Oh, I couldn't!"
"And I can't take your stuff without paying you, please?"
Eventually, she agreed, and we began to discuss other things.