I ain't calling you a Truther

Walking the streets, Muteki and Jin were extremely quiet. I hadn't wanted to say anything earlier because Aang really needed this, but I agreed. Something was seriously wrong here.

"We can take the train out to the wall, but then we'll have to walk," Sokka explained.

"Don't worry, on the way back; we'll be flying!" Aang said cheerfully.

That. That was why I didn't have the heart to say anything. Aang needed this hope. But what if Muteki was right? What if this was a wild goose chase, and Appa wasn't there? I didn't want to think about how crushed he would be. Also, Amaya was somewhere in this city. Naturally, that meant Zuko and Iroh would be too, but Amaya should stand out like a sore thumb. Toph was exaggerating her relief for leaving, but I think she and the other three were the only ones enthusiastic about this lead. Jet kept throwing me, Muteki, and Jin looks like he knew we weren't buying it. That or he was internally freaking out about the fact that there were three people with freaky hair - by the standards of this world. I'm fly as hell right now, with my blond hair and sure Muteki is taller, but hey. I'm still fly. Wait, that's not the point.

"Jet!"

We all turn around as someone called out to Jet, and I recognized Smellerbee and Longshot as they ran towards him.

"I thought you said you didn't have your gang anymore?" Katara demanded, glaring at Jet.

"I don't," he said, his expression one of utter confusion.

Smellerbee threw herself at Jet, hugging him tightly. That's not a "hey, we found you" hug. That's a "thank goodness you're alright; I was so worried" hug.

"We were so worried!" she said, holding him out at arm's length as she inspected him. 

Called it. 

"How did you get away from the Dai Li?"

"The Dai Li?" Katara actually looked worried. 

Aww, see, she does care.

"Welp didn't see that one coming," I said, stepping into the circle of discussion. "Jet, what the hell, man?"

"I don't know what she's talking about," he said, looking confused.

"He got into a fight, and a girl got hurt," Smellerbee explained. "She's alright, but he got arrested by the Dai Li. This was a couple of weeks ago. We saw them drag him away, but we were trying to check on the girl, who fainted."

"Why would I have been in a fight?" Jet asked, completely baffled. "I would never hurt a girl. I've been living peacefully in the city."

Toph knelt, pressing her palm onto the street between them. 

"This doesn't make sense," she said. "They're both telling the truth."

"That's impossible," Katara dismissed.

"No, it's not," Sokka said. "Toph can't tell who's lying because they both think they're telling the truth."

"So, who do we believe?" Jin asked, taking a defensive posture. 

Muteki pressed a hand on her shoulder before stepping forward.

"Careful, Jin," he said. "Jet got arrested for fighting. Let's be careful about this."

"The Dai Li are up to something fishy," I said. "Muteki was right. Someone is lying, and I think they got to Jet."

"Jet's been brainwashed then," Sokka concluded.

"That's crazy!" Jet insisted, distressed as he backed away from us. "Stay away from me!"

We all circled him, Jin and I standing back, to avoid accidentally revealing our bending.

We need answers.