Wise Words and Stray Thoughts

A/N: So I have this thing where the fact that the number of chapters isn't a multiple of five is actually irritating me.  So I'm fixing that.  That is part of the reason for the random influx of chapters.  That and they're surprisingly short again.  Also, I feel like I quoted someone here, but I couldn't find 'em when I googled it.  It's bugging me.  You'll know it if you know it, and if you do... let me know, 'cause it's gonna drive me crazy.  Anyway, a new chapter, moving it along, bringing in good ol' Amaya, and stuff.  Enjoy, vote, share, comment, and whatever else you happen to be doing.  Much love, Amaya out~

Zuko was out again. Iroh seemed to be more... upset about it than usual. I was... anxious. I liked my brain being mine. If he got caught... Would I still be me? Would they change me? I didn't want to think about it, so instead, I cleaned some cups and put tea on to boil.

"My nephew cannot continue like this," Iroh sighed as I set a hot cup of tea in front of him.

"We cannot choose another's path," I said. "We can only show them the way and hope they'll walk it. That... was probably said by someone much wiser than me."

"But wisdom, it still is," Iroh sighed.

I sat down opposite him and wracked my brain for something - anything - that might be comforting.

"I once read something, which said that we have to choose our own destiny," I said. "We have to choose our own paths in life. I personally don't think this is the best choice he could be making, but I can't control his life."

Iroh sipped his tea, then stared into the cup.

"All we can do is support him with all our strength and heart and be there when he needs us," I set my cup down and cupped Iroh's hands around his cup. "If we do that, then maybe one day he'll find the right path. But we have to let him make his own mistakes so that he can learn and grow."

"You're right," Iroh said, smiling heavily. "Thank you. You shame me with your wisdom."

I snorted, then sat back and took my own tea. I drank some more as Iroh set his aside.

"You think little of it, but I see much that most would overlook in you," he said. "I once heard a saying that the loneliest people are the kindest."

I stared at my cup, refusing to look up. I'd heard this one too.

"I've never seen a greater kindness than your own," he said warmly. "You are patient and do everything in your power to show even the smallest kindness to anyone. A simple smile to brighten another's day. A hand offered to a fallen friend, a warm meal after a long day."

"Well, gotta do my part, yeah?" I said, offering a half-embarrassed smile.

"They also say, those who smile the brightest often cry the hardest," Iroh said. "And there is no brighter smile than your own."

I sighed, seeing where he was going with it.

"And they also say that the wisest people have suffered the most," I said, giving him a pointed look. "I choose not to let other people be affected by my own sometimes over-emotional self. I've always been... empathic. If other people's emotions affect me the way they do, how do my own emotions affect others? I ask myself that every time I feel like crying. If I feel good when someone is nice to me, then shouldn't I spread that good feeling?"

I took the cups of now cold tea and went to wash the cups.

"Whether I'm hurting or not isn't important. What matters is I don't hurt other people," I said firmly.

"That is not a healthy mindset."

"It's better than spreading negativity," I shrugged.

"You shoulder my nephew's negativity on yourself," he said. "I see it in your smile that it is getting harder to stand under the strain."

I paused, his words actually hitting a nerve.

"We all do crazy things for the people we care about," I shrugged.

When I realized what I'd said, I spun around with a blood-red face. 

"I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT LIKING HIM YOU STOP THAT!"

Iroh chuckled, though his smile spoke volumes about how he agreed with me.

"Sometimes, the things we do," he said. "Harm us more than it helps them."

"I guess," I said, putting the cups away, my cheeks still burning.