Soup and Tea

When Iroh and Zuko returned, I was curled up in my little blanket on my side of the divided room, on a very narrow cot. I crawled out of it and greeted them tiredly.

"Have you been sleeping all day?" Zuko demanded.

"Only part of it," I responded half-heartedly. "But I made soup!"

Iroh chuckled. "Would you both like a pot of tea?"

"I've been working in a tea shop all day," Zuko snapped. "I'm sick of tea!"

"Sick of tea? That's like being sick of breathing!" Iroh retorted, digging through the cupboard under the counter. "Jasmine, where did you put the spark rocks?"

"They should be in that cupboard," I answered, coming round to look for it. "Strange, I could have sworn I put it back..."

I sighed and stood up. "I'll go see if we can borrow the neighbour's spark rocks; otherwise, it's cold soup and no tea."

Iroh placed a hand on my shoulder. "I'll go speak with them, sit."

I watched the old man leave, kneeling on a little mat next to the rickety table. Zuko was lying in one of the cots on the men's side of the room.

After a moment of silence, Zuko coughed awkwardly.

"You're usually a lot more talkative," he said.

"I guess," I answered.

"..."

"..."

"Did you get lost today?"

I shrugged. "Not really."

We sat in silence again before I yawned. "Could you let your uncle know I'm not hungry or anything? I think I'll go to bed early."

"You were just sleeping," Zuko pointed out with a frown.

I shrugged again and pulled the curtain closed between the two sections. "I guess I'm just exhausted."