The Lady Doth Protest

"Do we ALL have to come?" Jin groaned from halfway down the rope.

I sighed, slid down the last few feet to the floor, and stepped away to let others down. And to look at the spectacular view. As Toph said, it was HUGE on the inside. Bigger on the inside... 'That reminds me of something, but I can't quite put my finger on it... Maybe I should call the doctor and have it checked out.'

The professor started ranting about owls or something while Jin and Muteki whispered something to each other. I had a feeling Amaya would've loved this place, not because of the books per se, but she was a bit of an architecture geek. How did I know that? I don't know that, do I? Apparently, I do.

We all turned to the sound of feathers rustling, then ran and hid behind some pillars.

"I know you're back there," came the grumpy voice.

Professor Death Wish darted out and ran up to the owl and introduced himself in that breathless, over-excited fanboy way that I suspect the owl found annoying.

"I suggest you leave the way you came," it said bluntly, turning its head towards another direction. "Unless you want to become a stuffed head of anthropology."

"Wow, someone woke up on the wrong side of the nest," I commented.

Jin slapped the back of my head.

"Idiot, he could eat you," she growled.

"He wouldn't, though," I answered. "He'd get a bad case of heartburn."

She made a face like she wanted to be mad at me, but she found my pun funny at the same time.

"I think firebenders are just walking puns," she muttered, following behind the Gaang.

"Are you the spirit that brought this library to the physical world?" Sokka questioned.

"Oh, I dunno, I kinda thought he was just the pet!" Muteki rolled his eyes at Sokka. "Who else would he be?"

"Hey! Woah, sorry!" Sokka responded to Muteki.

"Indeed, I am Wan Shi Tong, 'He Who Knows Ten Thousand Things.'" Mr Bird said. "And you are obviously humans, which, by the way, are no longer permitted in my study."

"You are a scholar, are you not?" I called. "Judging from your diminished physique and large forehead, you are suited for nothing else!"

"What do you have against humans?" Aang asked, almost angrily.

"Hm! Humans only bother learning things to get the edge on other humans. Like that firebender who came to this place a few years ago, looking to destroy his enemy. So, who are you trying to destroy?"

"Just my buddy here at sandcastle building competitions," Muteki grinned at me.

"I bet that firebender was Zhao," I whispered to Jin. "Probably how he knew about the Moon and Ocean Spirits."

"Why have you come here?" Mr Giant Owl asked.

"Um, knowledge for knowledge's sake?" Sokka suggested.

"If you're going to lie to an all-knowing spirit being," Fluffy the owl growled. "You should at least put some effort into it."

"I'm not lying," Sokka said defensively. "I'm here with the Avatar, and he's the bridge between our worlds. He'll vouch for me."

Aang stumbled forward. "Ow. Uh, yeah, I'll vouch. We will not abuse the knowledge in your library, good spirit. You have my word."

They both bowed to Wan Shi Tong.