Nightmares

I don't know how long I had been asleep, but I know I woke up screaming.  I don't remember what I had dreamed about, but I felt anxious and needed not to be here.  I needed fresh air.  I needed... I needed someone to hug me and tell me it would all be alright.

But no one was home, so I threw on some proper clothes, locked the door and started running through the streets.  I'm not much of a runner.  In fact, I avoid it as much as possible.  But right now, I needed to run so that the terror in my heart could be replaced with adrenaline from running, and I was gasping because of running.  Run from my problems essentially.  I didn't really think about which way I was going, which is bad for multiple reasons.

First of all, it's late and therefore quite dark.  Easy to get lost.  Second of all, this city is enormous and the chances of getting lost increase once again.  Third of all, I am a girl on my own in the middle of a strange city at night.  You can see why none of this is particularly clever right?

Lucky for me - if you can call it luck - I happened to come across a little kerfuffle.  Two guys were in the middle of a fight with swords.

Wait, I know them!

Jet and Zuko were fighting, each with one sword.  Zuko nearly decapitated Jet, who managed to bend backwards and avoid the blade just in time.

I was out of breath, so my gasp came out wheezy and almost soundless.  I clasped my hands over my mouth and watched with bated breath.  Why was this happening?  What's going on?

I felt like I was supposed to know the answer, but I couldn't remember it.

Jet regained his balance and jumped back onto the edge of a well.  Several people had now gathered around and were watching the fight.

"You see that?" Jet yelled over at the crowd.  "The Fire Nation is trying to silence me.  It'll never happen."

'Fire Nation?  How...?'

How did Jet know?  I realised with some shock that he must have noticed the cup back at the station.

"Oh no..." I whispered to myself as tears pricked my eyes.  "He's going to get himself killed."

Jet hooked his sword onto a wooden beam above the well and swung forward at Zuko, attacking him with a flying kick.

"Stop..." I whispered.  

My feet started to move on their own.  

"Stop!"