Back to the Birthing

A/N: Innumerable pardons, my readers. I appear to have neglected the uploading of new chapters for the most part of this new year. I shall attempt to do better after SashaL informed me of messages to him, requesting to know where the new chapters are. Well, here one is. Forgive me... *bows apologetically* and accept this peace offering~

At some point during the birth of a human child, Sokka passed out while I sat outside with Aang, Toph, and Momo. There was screaming and grunting, and every now and then, we could hear Katara and the others inside encouraging the screaming woman. Eventually, we heard Katara call out, "It's a girl!" and Toph grinned as she leaned over at the pale Sokka.

"So you want to go see the baby?" she asked, nudging him. "Or are you going to faint like an old lady again?"

"No, no!" Sokka answered, standing up. "I'm good this time."

I chuckled, patting Aang on the shoulder as I got up to follow. 

"Come on, bro," I went in to see the family gathered around the sleeping baby, all squishy and cute.

"She sounds healthy," Toph commented as Katara, who had left to speak with Aang, came back in.

"She's beautiful," Katara breathed.

"It's so...squishy looking," Sokka said.

I punched his shoulder with a slight grin. "Dude, it is a she, and she's gonna be a heart breaker when she grows up. Look at that cute little face!"

Muteki laughed as he carefully stood up and stretched. "She's a cute one, that's for sure."

Jin giggled, "stubborn, though. It took a while to bring her out. But mother and baby are both fine, and we should be good to move again in the next few hours, once Ying has recovered a little more."

"What should we name her?" Tahn asked his wife.

I chuckled. "Yeah, can't call her "her" forever."

Ying smiled. 

"I want our daughter's name to be unique," she smiled down at her daughter. "I want it to mean something."

Aang stepped further into the tent, having been hovering by the door, and smiled at the happy family.

"I've been going through a really rough time lately," he said softly. "But you've made me... hopeful again."

The new parents shared a brief look as a bright smile spread over Ying's face. 

"I know what I want to name our daughter," she brushed her fingers across her young daughter's cheek. "Hope."

"That's a perfect name," Tahn agreed, holding his wife and daughter close. "Hope."