Make it Rain

Jin and I returned to find Sokka, Katara, and Mogui playing a card game on a wooden table. Sokka and Mogui appeared to be deep in thought. As for Toph, she was bouncing a ball off the wall. Jin went to join in on the game while I took the groceries we'd bought onto a table.

"What's the sitch?" I asked Toph, plopping down next to her and catching the ball before she could.

"Aang and Momo are out releasing the last of the posters to find Appa," she answered as we tossed the ball between each other as it bounced off the wall.

"Ah."

At that moment, Aang and Momo decided to return and went over to the table.

"I just finished dropping all the leaflets," he said. "Has anyone come in with news about Appa?"

"It's only been a day. Just be patient," Katara answered, studying her cards.

Aang dropped his head on the table dejectedly.

"Company," I called, and seconds later, there was a knock at the door.

Aang popped up eagerly. "Wow, you're right! Patience really pays off!"

He raced to open the door, though his face fell when he got there. "Joo Dee?"

"Hello, Aang and Katara and Sokka and Toph and Jin and Mogui and Muteki," she said.

"Wow, no time for breaths," I said as we all gathered to talk to her.

"What happened to you?" Sokka questioned.

"Did the Dai Li imprison you?" Mogui joined.

"Of course not," Joo Dee said dismissively. "The Dai Li are the protectors of our cultural heritage."

"But you disappeared at the Earth King's party," Toph said.

"They assigned someone else called Joo Dee to us," Jin added.

"I'm Joo Dee," she answered. "As to my absence, I simply took a vacation to Lake Laogai, out in the country. It was quite relaxing."

That seems suspicious. Oh wait, isn't that place important somehow? Perfect time to remember that it's been too long since I'd seen the show, and therefore don't really remember what made Lake Laogai important. I'm sure Jin will remember. I looked over at her to see she also had a confused frown. Welp, I guess it can't be helped.

"Why are you here?" Aang asked.

"Dropping flyers and putting up posters isn't permitted within the city," she said, pulling a leaflet out of her sleeve. "Not without proper clearance."

"We can't wait around to get permission for everything!" Sokka snapped.

"You are absolutely forbidden by the rules of the city to continue putting up posters," Joo Dee continued with a cheerful grin.

Oh boy, Aang is steaming.

"WE DON'T CARE ABOUT THE RULES AND WE'RE NOT ASKING PERMISSION!!" his arms were flailing wildly as Joo Dee shrank away from the furious airbender. "We're finding Appa on our own, and you should just stay out of our way!"

He slammed the door in the face of the horrified woman, and Mogui and I were barely containing our laughter, while Jin gave us exasperated looks.

"That might come back to bite us in the blubber," Sokka said thoughtfully.

"Hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained," I said as Aang breathed heavily and turned to face us.

"Exactly," he said. "From now on, we do whatever it takes to find Appa."

"YEAH!" Toph cheered, raising her arms into the air. "Let's break some rules!"

She and I turned in synch and blasted a hole in one of the walls.

"Feel better?" I asked the pint-sized Earthbender as we all filed out the front door.

"I've wanted to do that since we got here," she responded.

"I could tell," I laughed.