Nasty Mango is Nasty

A/N: Disclaimer: Amaya does not like Mango. That does not make Mango an inherently nasty thing. If you like Mango, have a gold star. And this Mango. Good day.

"Bleh..."

"Then don't drink it," Zuko sighed.

"But you guys spent money on it!" I responded. "And I'm thirsty. I can ignore the mango long enough to have my thirst quenched."

I took a long sip then pulled a face. 

"Despite the mango, it's definitely the quenchiest-" And then I remembered cactus juice. "Well, maybe second quenchiest, but it'll quench ya!" 

I did say banana. BANANA! But no, mango.

Zuko rolled his eyes at me while Iroh looked around.

"Uncle, these people can't help us," Zuko turned to Iroh. "They look like filthy wanderers."

"So do we," Iroh answered.

"Hey! I resent that!" I piped up. 

Iroh chuckled warmly.

"Perhaps you are a slightly prettier filthy wanderer," he suggested.

"Slightly prettier filthy wanderer accepts the compliment," I responded, turning back to my mango smoothie.

"Ah!" Iroh said, pointing off at another old man, this one sitting behind a Pai Sho table. "This is interesting. I believe we have found our friend."

"Do you think he likes mango?"

Zuko threw me a "please shut up" look before growling at his uncle. 

"You brought us here to gamble on Pai Sho?"

"I don't think this is a gamble," Iroh said solemnly.

"Giving him this mango smoothie and pretending it's not half gone and hoping he doesn't notice, though...that's a gamble," I added as we approached the table. 

Oh, look, another "just be quiet" look. Rude.

"May I have this game?" Iroh asked politely.

"The guest has the first move," the old man answered politely. 

Iroh sat down and placed a lotus flower in the middle. "I see you favour the white lotus gambit. Not many still cling to the ancient ways."

"Those who do can always find a friend," Iroh said wisely. 

I sat down with my smoothie and crossed my legs.

"Then let us play," the other old man said.

They started placing tiles down rapidly, and Zuko decided it looked interesting enough to sit down and not huff about gasbags. He was even watching intently. Cute. When they were done, the tiles formed a lotus with the little lotus tile in the middle.

"Welcome, brother," the old man said after they were done. "The White Lotus opens wide to those who know her secrets."

"They are very pretty," I commented, peering at the tiles. 

A little bit of my hair slipped out from under my hood.

"What are you old gasbags talking about?" Zuko demanded before pushing the hair under my hood. 

I gave him a confused look, and he ignored me mostly.

"I tried to tell you, Pai Sho is more than just a game," Iroh grinned, flipping a tile between his knuckles before clutching it.

"Cool, can you make it appear behind my ear?" I questioned. 

Iroh chuckled but shook his head no.

"Pity," I sighed, returning to my smoothie. 

Wait, it's finished. That was disgustingly satisfying.

"It's over!" someone yelled, approaching our little table. Wow, he was huge.

"Yes, it is," I responded. "And it was mango flavoured."

"Amaya, be quiet," Zuko muttered, jumping out of his seat and putting himself between Mr Hotshot and me.

"Yes, Koko, sir!" I responded enthusiastically, staying seated.

Mr Hotshot growled something about fugitives coming with him immediately.

The old Pai Sho man jumped up and pointed an accusatory finger at us. "I knew it! You three are wanted criminals with a large bounty on your heads!"

"I thought you said he would help us!" Zuko accused.

"He is," Iroh answered calmly. "Just watch."

"You think you will capture them and take all that gold!?"

Oh, ruffians are really listening now.

"Gold?" the bartender questioned, putting down the mug he was...erm..."cleaning" and leaned in a little closer.

It wasn't long before a brawl started, and the old man ushered the three of us out the little dingy bar and out into the desert night.