Real Food!

Once making sure the mother with the screaming kid was able to get her starving, darling angel under control, I made my way back to where Iroh was sitting with Zuko, Smellerbee, and Longshot. I was like, three skips away from my spot between Iroh and Zuko when I tripped over my feet.

Jet caught my wrist and spun me back to my feet, but now in his arms.

"All right there?" he asked, grinning.

"Oh yeah," I answered, staring at the twig...blade of grass? Whatever, it's bugging me. "Stick around. It's pretty much normal."

"Jasmine, sit down," Zuko almost snapped.

"Yes, sir!" I said with mock enthusiasm. "Who spat in your bean soup?"

I plopped down next to Zuko, with Iroh on my other side and Jet and his friends opposite us. Zuko rolled his eyes at me while Iroh tried to make conversation with Smellerbee and Longshot. Smellerbee took offence to Iroh's comment about her gender, Longshot...uh...looked at her, and she sighed then came back.

"From what I've heard," Jet said, a far off look in his eye. "People eat like this every night in Ba Sing Se. I can't wait to set my eyes on that giant wall."

"It is a magnificent sight," Iroh agreed.

"So you've been there before?" Jet asked, a curious gleam in his eyes.

"Once," Iroh answered, his expression sad. "When I was a... different man."

"I've done some things in my past that I'm not proud of," Jet admitted freely. "But that's why I'm going to Ba Sing Se. For a new beginning. A second chance."

"That's very noble of you," Iroh said, giving Zuko a meaningful look. "I believe people can change their lives if they want to. I believe in second chances."

Something flickered in Jet's eyes, something that made me slightly uncomfortable, so I decided to do something to break the tension.

...

I stole some food from Zuko's bowl.

"Hey!" he snapped, trying to get it back.

"No! You were letting it get cold!" I responded, trying to eat it while Zuko tried to snatch it back.

"I was saving that!"

"Too bad!"

I couldn't help the girlish squeals that escaped as I tried to wiggle away from him.

"Nom!" I popped it in my mouth and grinned triumphantly, only to realise I had practically climbed into Jet's lap to escape Zuko. "Whoa, when did this happen?"

Jet grinned, slipping an arm around my waist. "Don't you think your boyfriend gets upset when you flirt with other guys?"

"First of all, he's not my boyfriend," I retorted. "And second, I'm too awkward to be successful at any form of flirting."

"She's right," Iroh piped up as I disentangled myself from Jet.

"Hey!" I cried out.

"You did just say it," Zuko added.

"You're not supposed to agree with me," I pouted.

"If you're not his girlfriend," Jet started, a little flirty grin on his face. "Then what are you?"

"A stalker."

Did that just come out my mouth? Muteki, this is your fault.

"She's right," Zuko commented, drinking his tea.

"Hey!" I cried out again before laughing. "No, never mind, we're just going in circles now."

Jet grinned wider. "You have a cute laugh."

My cheeks turned cherry red, and I sat with the soles of my feet touching and head bowed, mumbling something about being a fierce dragon and how they should all fear me when Zuko actually patted me on the head.

"You're about as fierce as a baby turtle duck," he commented, resuming his eating.

"And you're rude," I retorted before we all resumed small talk.