On a boat somewhere...

I woke to the sound of frightened gasping and then heavy breathing. Looking around with bleary eyes, I spotted Aang quietly climbing up the ladder.
"Aang?" Katara was woken, too, it seemed. 

She followed not long after, and when I got my limbs in working order, I made my way after them.
"Just a nightmare," Aang was telling Katara what was bothering him.
"Care to share?" I said, barely stifling a yawn as I leaned against the railing next to him.
"I was in the Avatar state, but I was outside my body watching myself," he explained, staring out over the ocean. "It was scary. I was scary."

Katara reached out to comfort Aang.
"We can all be scary when we want to be," I said, nudging Aang with my elbow. "Don't worry about it. Hakuna Matata."
Aang sighed and bowed his head.
"Come on," I said, putting my arm around his shoulders. "Try to get some more sleep. You'll be fine in the morning again."

The next morning, Pakku was addressing us.
"Katara," he said, reaching into a pouch. "I want you to have this."
He held up a vial with a crescent moon design.
"This amulet contains water from the Spirit Oasis. The water has unique properties. Don't lose it," he smiled warmly to Katara, and I nudged Sokka.
"Teacher's pet," I mumbled to him, and Sokka managed a weak smile.
I considered that a win. He hadn't been himself lately, and for a good reason. This was my way of trying to help him recover.
"Thank you, Master Pakku," Katara said, giving him a quick one-armed hug.
"Can you believe that they hated each other at one point," I muttered softly to Sokka, who did another little half-smile, with the addition of a soft snort.
"Aang," Pakku beckoned the Airbender forward. "These scrolls will help you master waterbending, but remember! There is no substitute for a real Master."
Aang nodded and looked over to Katara. He smiled at her, then bowed respectfully to Pakku.
"Sokka," Sokka stepped forward cheerfully. "Take care, son."
Sokka seemed disappointed at that, but I nudged him.
"At least he said something to you," I chuckled as we climbed up onto Appa.
"True," he sighed.

"Fly straight to the Earth Kingdom base to the east of here. General Fong will provide you with an escort to Omashu. There you will be safe, and you will begin your earthbending training with King Bumi."
"Appa yip yip!" Aang said cheerfully.
Katara turned and waved back to Pakku. "Say hi to Gram Gram for me!"