Interview #25 @Jagermeanshunter

1 what inspired you to write?

Oddly enough, King Arthur. I always loved those legends as a kid. Most of the legendsclaimed he would return when the world needed him to, but I've never found anybook that ran with that storyline. So, I decided to do it for myself and thenother stories and characters just sort of started to come out of the woodwork.I haven't stopped writing since.

2 what's your favorite snack?

Basically, anything involving peanut butter. 

3 what's your daily writing routine?

I'm definitely a night owl, so most of my writing gets done between nine andmidnight. It's easier to focus when everyone else is asleep. Other than that, Iput on some music (everything from Sinatra to Van Halen to Imagine Dragons) andI just continue to chip away at whatever project strikes me with the mostinspiration. 

4 Are you still surprised when you gain a new vote, comment or follower?

It sounds really cocky to say no, but it's also kind of the truth. By this pointI'm fairly confident in quite a few of my works, but I'm always so happy aboutevery little vote or comment. And there are honestly some comments that justblow me away, with a reader telling me how much they enjoy a certain aspectabout my writing or something like that. Comments like those do still surpriseme, but in the best way possible.

5 how would you celebrate a publishing deal?

Oooh. Um, probably try to figure out if I'll earn enough to pay off all my studentloans, and then Mexican food. Lots of Mexican food with all my family. 

6 what's your favorite book?

How do I pick? Classically speaking To Kill a Mockingbird and A Tale of Two Citiesare strong favorites. More contemporary... I adore The Raven Boys, Six of Crowsand just about anything by Sherrilyn Kenyon or Dan Brown.

7 if you could gain advice from your favorite author, who would you choose and what would you do?

I'd probably want to talk to C.S. Lewis about writing something that really extends beyond just words on a page. For me, his writing always felt so big. Like it meant something really, really important. I'd just want to pick his brain about how he wrote something so emotional.

8 what's your favorite holiday and why?

Probably America's Independence Day. My family has a ton of traditions so it's alwaysreally fun, plus I love summer, which it's right in the middle of. Plus, Ithink it's an important holiday and Americans should view it as a day where wecan remember that, despite our other differences, we're all American, andthat's what should bring us together. 

9 what's a song you enjoy? Who is the artist?

Right now, my favorite song is Natural by Imagine Dragons. 

10 how would you handle a bully?

I have zero tolerance for people who bully. Because I know at the core, they arenothing but cowards, and I don't have very much nice to say about cowards. It'sharder online because being behind a screen can give them false bravery. Inreal life, I've gotten up in people's faces for being a bully. They don't likegetting called out and will usually back off. Online, I just ignore them. All Ican think is it must be lonely and exhausting and sad to constantly be hateful,and really you're just wasting all your energy shouting at nothing, becausewhen you're not even worth a response online, what does that say about whatyou're worth in life?

11 what's your advice for a newcomer?

My biggest piece of advice to a newcomer is simply put yourself out there. Very rarely will people just stumble across your work by accident. Sometimes it happens, but not often enough to get you anywhere. Go talk to people, read their books and odds are they'll at least look at yours. Join one of the many communities on Wattpad. Legwork counts, even online.

And simply be kind. It takes literally nothing away from you to say something nice to someone, but it can mean the world to a writer on here. Kindness breeds kindness and eventually it'll come back around to you. (And yes, I do realize I sound like a fortune cookie).

Request time!

My book The Soul Collector is about a monster hunter who works for Hell. Her demon superiors aren't thrilled about her extracurricular activities and send her a Hellhound who she's pretty sure is supposed to be spying on her. She knows Hell wants any excuse to strip her of her Collector title and steal her soul, she just doesn't know why. And to complicate things further, that aforementioned Hellhound isn't too terribly keen on the rules himself, not to mention he looks like a fallen angel rather than a Hellhound with the personality to match.

If you like severely imperfect characters, dark/sarcastic/occasionally terrible humor, monsters, action, a little sexy time and a couple badass cars (not to mention sassy witches, mechanic dragons, and morally questionable hunters) this is probably a book for you.