Part 29 - best behaviour

1 year later (part 2):

"You need to be on your best behaviour, okay?" Juliet warned as she adjusted Hunter's tie.

None of them were used to being at an event like this and just getting Matt and Hunter to wear suits had been a difficult task alone. However, Juliet was determined to ensure that they didn't give off that impression. They somehow needed to mix themselves within the crowds to prevent them from standing out.

Unfortunately though, Hunter was going through an incredibly frustrating phase in his life, and had reverted back to his 13 year-old ways. He was testing boundaries and causing trouble, thinking he could use the phrase 'I'm an adult, you can't tell me what to do', and get away with it. It was almost certain that he would be using that tonight and the idea gave Juliet so much anxiety.

"I'm going to find Phoebe. You need to just chill mum, this is basically a party." Hunter shrugged, reaching to grab one of the champagne glasses being offered their way however, he was very quickly stopped by his mum.

"The legal age is 21 here, Hunter. You can't drink." She instructed, finding some relief that it might keep him out of a bit of trouble.

As Hunter looked over at his dad in disbelief, he didn't quite get the response he was hoping for.

"Your mum is right, dude. You better stick with water." Matt said, trying to hide the grin on his face.

Matt's usual parenting style with Hunter consisted of a lot of teasing and playfulness. It had usually always worked however, recently it just urged Hunter to push the limits even further.

"This is so fucking stupid. It's not like I'm at some bar out here or anything." Hunter stressed, throwing his arms up in the air and almost knocking the tray out of the waiters hand.

"Watch it." Matt reached his own hand out to prevent the glasses from being knocked over.

The last thing the needed to be centre stage of creating a huge mess. Not only would it make them look bad, Matt was sure that Todd wouldn't be best pleased either. He seemed to have gained some standards over the past year.

"and watch your language, Hunter." Juliet added, causing him to roll his eyes.

"Whatever, I'm off. I'll see you later." He mumbled while turning on his heel and making his ways through the crowds.

"When the show starts, come and find us. We're all sat together." Matt called after him however, it was no use, he was past listening to anything they had to say.

"God, I'm so worried about him." Juliet sighed as she watched her 20-year old disappear into the crowds. "He's impossible to get through to."

It had been a few months since Hunter had made the big decision to quit university. After insisting he had made the adult decision that he couldn't be bothered to do any of the work, he didn't want to go back. Although him leaving hadn't been an issue, as Juliet and Matt were supportive of whatever he wanted, the issue came when he showed no signs of looking for anything else to take up his time.

"He's been acting out since he quit uni."

"He probably just feels a bit lost." Matt tried to rationalise it with Juliet and although she understood that, she also hadn't see him make any efforts to try to find a job.

"Spending all of his time going out and getting drunk isn't going to help that." Juliet argued, considering it had become quite a habit for their 20-year-old son.