Chapter 15

7 months later –

Sophie:

"Are you sure you are okay, Sophie?" Her manager asked, looking at her with a face full of concern.

"Yeah, I'm fine honest. It's just pre-plane nerves, I always get them." She lied.

After they had checked in at the airport, ready to set off for New York, Sophie had ran off to the toilets in need of throwing up. To her it had become a regular occurrence due to the pregnancy however, no one was aware of it. Therefore, she was hiding the truth with excuses.

"I hope you aren't coming down with anything. We're going to need you during this busy week ahead." She glimpsed back at her with a hopeful grin. "If you think London is intense, New York is a whole new level."

"I'm okay, honestly." Sophie chuckled, placing a reassuring hand on her arm. "I am more than prepared to take on whatever is thrown at me."

After her cover up must have been convincing enough, Sophie was able to intake a deep breath once she had been left alone. She knew she was going to be throwing up most days and the whole 'morning sickness' had no truth to it because it never accurately occurred then. Therefore, she would have to continue to make more and more excuses so she didn't have people avoiding her left, right and centre, thinking she had some sort of bug.

"She makes it sound like hell but the parties are awesome!" A guy named Felix whom she worked with also arrived at her side.

"If it involves a high class dress code every night, I don't think you can use the word 'awesome' Felix." She laughed and he suddenly began shaking his head.

"No trust me; even posh fashion snobs in business suits know how to switch things up at night! You better have packed your heels and an outfit tighter than that guys jeans or you won't be fitting in."

Looking to Felix who was currently admiring the tightest jeans he had ever seen, Sophie knew it would be a fun week. She was going to be in New York and it was the one city she had always dreamed of living in so getting to work out there for a week was insane to her.

However, the kind of fun Felix was intending to get out of this trip was not the same as Sophie would be able to. The parties would lead to plenty of drinking, that of which she had to refrain from doing now. Except the one problem was that even her colleagues in London knew how much she loved partying therefore, the whole pregnancy thing would become increasingly harder to cover up.

...

Sophie had been in New York for about three hours, admiring her gorgeous hotel room alongside her incredible view before her phone went off in her bag. She had grabbed it quickly thinking it may be her boss sending her the list of times and places she needed to be however, it was Alissa, Juliet's mum.

Pulling open the text, it read:

'Hi Sophie. I just wanted to let you know that I have found potential parents for the baby. They are unable to have a baby of their own and are looking to adopt, more specifically a new-born. Let me know how you feel about meeting them and we can arrange something. Xx'

After reading the message that was on the screen Sophie's body filled with a mixture of emotions however, most of them were far from good. She felt sick, completely sick with nerves, fear and regret of what she had done. Receiving that text had made it all real and she now realised that this was really happening.

She was going to be giving her baby up for adoption. She was going to be organising to meet the future parents of the baby she was currently carrying inside of her. She felt physically sick at the thought.

As much as she knew it was what was better for the baby, the maternal instinct of being pregnant meant she couldn't help but want to be selfish.

Throwing her phone onto the bed, she then pulled her organiser from her bag before laying it out on the desk and frantically flicking through the pages. For the first time since finding out she was pregnant she was actually desperately trying to figure out who had a higher chance of being the father.

She had initially just shrugged Jess' persistence off and placed suspicions on Corey due to their messy relationship but she had never confirmed it other than through probability. However, as she began to skim through the dates and try and recall back memories of what happened when and where, only one name came to her mind.

The emotions of love running through her only made the situation worse but in her frantic state, she yet again grabbed her phone and began dialling his number.

She knew she needed to pause and think rationally about this. She didn't exactly know what she was currently doing or what she thought she was going to get from it but she couldn't stop herself. The text from Alissa had caused her mind to yet again fall into a crazy spiral out of her control and this felt like the right thing to do.

"Soph?" Aaron posed it more of a question when he answered the phone, obviously not expecting to hear from her.

She had shut herself out from many of them in Brighton so phone calls like this were not expected.

"Are you alright?" He questioned further, when she said nothing.

Then just as she was about to open her mouth to respond, the door to her hotel room flew open and Felix stood the other side.

"Are you ready to experience the fashion geniuses of New York City, darlin', because I sure am!" He swept his arm out in a dramatic gesture, causing the door to slam against the wall.

Standing dumbfounded in the middle of the room, Sophie was suddenly brought back down to reality, realising this phone call had probably been a terrible idea. She needed to keep focused on the original plan and that was the adoption. There was no chance that she could let her mind drift elsewhere and cause an even messier situation.

"Er, sorry Aaron... forget I called. I have to go." She quickly mumbled down the phone, causing Felix to frown at her.

"What? Soph?" Aaron tried to prevent her from ending the call but it was too late, the line went dead.

"Damn! Did I just interrupt a heated conversation with a boyfriend?" Felix raised his eyebrows in a teasing manner.

"No." Sophie rolled her eyes. "He's actually an ex. Now let's go."

Grabbing her bag, she then began shoving Felix out the door and prevented him from saying anything else.

*

thank you for reading! :)