Chapter 44

It was the Monday morning when Jack, Dan and Aaron were leaving Brighton to head off to Cambridge and in true Lawrence style, Jack had been rushing around the house trying to get ready on time. His parents had just showed up and were sat chatting downstairs with Jess while he got his last remaining things together.

Jack had been looking forward to this the moment he organised it with Connor's friend due to what it could mean for the business. He never thought he would be able to do something like this but it proved that hard work was the key to any piece of success and he was living proof of that.

"Hi, sweetie." Louise was first to speak up when Jack walked into the kitchen around twenty minutes later.

"Hey." Jack smiled back as he pulled her into his side and kissed her head, while he had Mia resting on his other hip.

"I'm so proud of you." Louise said looking up at him as they pulled apart.

This was a huge thing not only for Jack but also for the family. They had all watched this business expand over the years and even heard past stories from each generation and this was a completely new step up for it. Dan's many brothers alongside their dad had been extremely proud when they found out, as when he first brought the business to life it had just been a small local garage that those close by could use.

"Thanks, Mum." Jack replied; feeling slightly overwhelmed with all the praise he had been receiving.

He didn't like taking all the credit because not only had his dad been a huge help over the years, all the guys at the garage had been too. Without them, it wouldn't keep running daily so he also owed it to each and every employee that worked for him daily.

"Can I have a kiss, Mia?" Louise then looked to the four year old who was clinging tightly onto her dad.

As Jack tried to pass her over so Louise could give her a hug instead, Mia jumped straight back into his arms.

"Sorry..." Jack looked back apologetic as Louise looked to him questioningly. "She's been clinging to me since this morning. She doesn't want me to leave."

You could hear the pain in his voice as he spoke, clearly the thought of Mia being so desperate for him to remain here putting him in an awful position.

"Aw bless your little heart." Louise cooed as she ran a thumb across Mia's cheek before kissing her forehead. "Daddy won't be gone long, angel. He'll be home really soon."

It didn't matter what was said to Mia in reassurance, she wouldn't listen and would continue to do everything in her power to keep Jack home. She had always been clingy to him as a baby but it was always maximised in circumstances like this.

"Are the others okay?"

"Yeah I think so. Addie just thinks we're all going on a family holiday." Jack chuckled at the thought of the two year old's constant excitement since she woke. "She's been pulling her clothes out of the wardrobe and putting them in my suitcase."

Just as Jack said that, Addie came running into the kitchen with her toothbrush alongside a pair of Jess' shoes. It was so difficult not to laugh due to her tiny frame being drowned by what she was holding but looking completely unfazed.

"What's this, Addie?" Jess grinned down at her as Addie passed them both towards her.

"Holiday!" The little girl cheesed before running back off out the room to get more things.

"What am I going to tell her when you leave?"

Jess' question was said in a teasing manner but they knew it could create quite a difficult situation if Addie finally realised that it wasn't quite what she had expected.