Chapter 17

"So tell me, what was the phone call with the ex all about?" Felix leaned against a wall and looked expectantly at Sophie.

They had arrived at their first event since being in New York and had spent the first few hours mingling before taking a much-needed breath away from it all.

"It was nothing."

"No way, Sophie, you do not get away without an explanation. Last time I was aware, you were seeing some other dude!" Felix said in reference to Corey.

He had never fully met him but had heard small things and knew he used to visit Sophie in London.

"It's complicated but right now, I'm fully single with zero ties."

"So who is the guy you were talking to on the phone? What's his name?"

Felix wasn't one for giving up unless he was given full information so Sophie knew they would continue to go back and forth if she didn't give in.

"He was my ex." She replied keeping it brief before he pulled a face that represented that he was waiting on more details. "His name is Aaron."

"Surname?"

Rolling her eyes, Sophie glared teasingly before giving him a response.

"Harris. Why? It's not like you are going to know him?"

Felix fell silent for a moment while he began typing away on his phone. Sophie was watching him confused while she waited for him to actually speak. Then when he finally did, it made her realise exactly what had just happened.

"Fuck me, Sophie Carter! This is your ex?"

Turning his phone around he flashed the screen at Sophie where Aaron's facebook was displayed. However, Sophie was only able to give it a glimpse before it was back under Felix's gawping gaze.

"He's fucking..." He began to say before Sophie smiled.

"I know." She responded, giving him no reason to finish his sentence; they were in definite agreement.

"This explains why you are still keeping contact. I'm adding him!"

"Well no, we're not exactly..."

"So what is going on?" He continued to probe but unknown to Felix he wasn't going to get a whole lot out of this conversation.

Since she had decided to keep the pregnancy from her friends in Brighton, it also meant ensuring to keep as many details about them away from her friends in London too. Those in London were going to find out she was pregnant eventually, she couldn't exactly hide it from them so she didn't want to draw more attention to the current messiness of the situation.

"Nothing is going on. Honestly, the call was pointless; we didn't even have a conversation."

Watching Sophie with unbelieving eyes, luckily for her something else caught Felix's attention behind her, distracting him away from the topic.

"Sophie. There is a hot guy at ten o' clock checking either you or myself out." Felix nudged her side, his mouth dropping open with admiration. "But there is an 80% it's you because he's staring at your arse."

Turning around to follow Felix' gaze Sophie caught sight of the guy and watched as his gaze moved to a more respectful place as he smiled. Bringing her attention back onto Felix, Sophie then pulled a face.

"He's all yours."

"What?! Are you joking? You are going to shut him down that quickly?" Felix looked back at Sophie in utter shock, yet letting his eyes linger on the figure in the distance every now and then. "Look at him!"

"I looked." Sophie laughed, still not giving the response Felix was after.

"And he's gorgeous. You'd look like a smashing couple with your flashy clothes, walking around making millions!"

"I'm not into rich snobs in suits."

The expression Sophie got in return was yet another shocked, lost for words one as Felix placed his drink on the table just so he could place his hands on her shoulders.

"You don't like the class that comes along with those overpriced garments?!"

"No." Sophie laughed, finding this all so amusing.

Felix had a natural inclination to make everything a drama, as if he was staring in his own TV show. It did not matter what the event or what the occasion was, he would make it worth watching.

"So what, you're into the jeans, cap and 'I've just run through a field playing football with the boys' kind of look?" Felix raised his brows watching Sophie's smile stretch across her face as she shrugged her shoulders.

"Well Sophie Carter, I can guarantee you are not going to find a guy like that lingering around at this event."

"That's okay, let's work on you instead." She reached out to take his drink back off the table.

Placing it back into his hand, hers made its way around his back as she began guiding his vision to the many people lingering around the room.

"If money is what you are after, aim for your right. They are all the bosses from head officers around New York."

Skimming his eyes over to where many were standing, Felix was debating his chances before Sophie continued.

"Or if you just want someone a little less dedicated to their job and who is just here for the free alcohol, take left." Sophie pointed over to where another group were all hanging around the bar.

Turning to face her with the biggest grin over his face, Felix didn't have to say anything for Sophie to know what he was thinking.

"Bar it is." She laughed, urging him off as she then took the chance to rush to the toilets.

She had been feeling nauseous again but didn't want to say anything in front of Felix as he would have fallen into panic. He would have then insisted that they went back to the hotel so she could rest but she didn't want nor need that. She had come all the way to New York to experience this amazing opportunity and potentially open new career doors for herself and she did not want to mess that up.

**

:)