Chapter 118

(part 6)

"You okay?" Matt asked the moment Jay arrived at Juliet's place.

He looked a little flustered yet Matt wasn't surprised considering there was probably so much going through his mind right now. Matt felt the exact same way; he was full of panic for what tomorrow night would bring yet he was trying to push it from his mind for the night.

While many of the guys had gone out as Jay had suggested, Matt had come straight to Juliet's. He had decided a night here would be much more relaxing and help to put his mind off things instead of a night partying with the gang.

"Yeah, is Lauren still here?"

"She's asleep in the spare room." Juliet responded. "It's just down there."

"Is she alright?"

Nodding her head, Juliet knew that Jay was obviously extremely worried what she was thinking right now. This was all so much for her to take in, as it wasn't something she usually saw on a daily basis, or even ever for that matter.

"She was shaken up of course but I tried to explain things a little."

"Thank you... for helping." Jay forced a smile, sounding genuinely grateful that Juliet had been there.

He knew this wasn't the best situation for Juliet and that she had been just as scared however, she had seen things like this happen before. She was a little more accustomed to it than Lauren was.

...

Making his way down the hall in Juliet's apartment, he eventually found the spare room and slowly pushed open the door. Lauren was lying with her back to the door yet she wasn't asleep. She was instead on her phone and if Jay was making the blurred screen out correctly, she was on her messages to him.

"I lost my phone, babe. I can't reply."

His voice suddenly caused her head to turn before being followed by her body. The relief and excitement was evident in her face as she realised who it was and Jay couldn't help but mimic that same feeling.

"Oh my God, you're okay." She reached out as Jay approached her and pulled him into a hug. "I've text you so many times! I didn't think you'd ever come back."

"I told you I would, didn't I?"

Although Jay had been confident on his word, Lauren wasn't as sure. She didn't know what was going on, nor did she know that Jay dealt with these situations on a regular basis. He always had the upper hand and always had control so when he made a promise to return, he wouldn't break it.

"I was just worried."

Pulling her tighter into him, Jay's arms were wrapped around her body as he sat back onto the bed. He appreciated the calmness of this moment while he could, just making the most of the peace and having her in his arms.

He still felt beyond guilty for what he had put Lauren through; he had been so selfish letting her into his life when he knew what could come out of it but the connection he had with her meant he struggled to let her go.

This woman was the first person he had felt himself around in a long time. He didn't feel the need to put on an act for her, she wasn't looking for a show. She liked him for the man he truly was deep down because she hadn't known about the bad side of his life that he never spoke about.

"Look..." Jay began, sitting himself up a bit more so he could speak properly. "I never wanted you to see any of that tonight. I was trying so hard to keep it from you because it's so fucked up."