Part 16 - what meant most to her

"You alright?" Jace asked the moment Sophie charged into the kitchen of her dad's house.

Not even taking a moment to say a word, she made her way over to him, lacing her hands up the sides of his face before pressing her lips to his. Slightly startled at the sudden impact, Jace soon began kissing her back, feeling the desperation in this yet not quite understanding where it was all coming from.

"I love you." Sophie muttered as they briefly pulled apart.

Wrapping his arms around her waist and urging her closer, he kissed her lips several times before pulling away.

"I love you too, but what's up?"

"Nothing." Sophie shook her head as though it was going to be believable.

"What's up?" Jace asked once again with raised eyebrows and a smile over his face, challenging her to try and beat him on this when he knew she'd fail.

Sighing, Sophie smiled back up at him while running her thumb over the stubble on his chin.

"I was just reminded of how lucky I am." Sophie began as she held his gaze, taking in the beauty of his eyes. "Being back in Brighton and seeing old faces just reminded me how much I hate it here. I love New York, I love my job, I love your family and I love you."

Jace began to laugh, finding her unapologetic honesty amusing.

"Can we please spend Christmas back home with your family? I don't want to do it here, it'll be weird without them."

"What? Seriously?"

Jace was incredibly taken back by the words falling from Sophie's lips. He was so confused to what had suddenly caused this change of heart however, it was very clear in Sophie's mind.

After speaking to Aaron and experiencing a reaction in herself she hadn't expected, she had then realised something. Coming back to Brighton had caused her to fall back into old habits she'd never wanted to.

Sophie had never got the closure before moving away from New York and therefore, she hadn't known how to act when she returned. She'd gotten so tangled up in a mess of thoughts that she'd forgotten what meant the most to her and that was her life in New York.

It had changed her as a person, one she was happy and proud of, unlike the one that Brighton turned her into.

"Yes I'm serious!" Sophie continued. "We can have a Christmas here with the kids this week and then we can head back home and spend it with your family."

There was so much excitement in her voice, having already planned this in her head. Considering it was Aaron's turn to have their children on Christmas day, Sophie really didn't see the point in hanging around; she wouldn't see them anyway.

"What about your family? Won't they be disappointed?" Jace asked, not wanting them to think Sophie was choosing his family over hers, even if that was the case.

"They won't mind, they're not used to having me home anyway."

Jace was watching Sophie intently to try and figure out if this was what she truly wanted, or if there was some hidden meaning behind it.

"Are you sure this isn't you just keen to get back to work? Because Felix said he had it under control." Jace laughed, knowing what Sophie was like and that she was a control freak and would be dying on the inside leaving her job down to someone else. "He might be offended."