Chapter 74

After sitting and talking to Matt and his daughter Abbie for what felt like hours, Mike finally sent that important and hopeful email to Estee.

He knew there was a huge chance she would turn him down, not necessarily because of the job but because of their past. The pair had not had much contact since they had finally split and this meant that his chances were slim.

However, when an email had popped up in his inbox a few days later, Mike couldn't quite believe his eyes. In her usual manner, Estee had kept her reply short and already instructed on a day, time and place without even checking that it was okay with him. She always just assumed that the world would fit around her schedule and priorities and it turned out that most of the time it did. People were always too scared to say no, as they knew they would miss her precious time.

So Mike hadn't wasted any time in agreeing to the demand she had made and had met Estee at her favourite five star and overly priced restaurant that was situated by Hyde Park in London.

...

"Why did you insist on meeting me?" Estee quipped as she continuously tapped her nails on the table in front of her.

Her voice was stern and her expression was serious; it was clear she didn't feel as though she had any time for this. She was a busy woman and unless things were worth her time in terms of making some money and kicking through that glass ceiling, she wouldn't give them the time of day.

"This better be important because you're wasting my time."

"Charming, I can see you missed me ever so much then." Mike replied, lifting the side of his mouth up as an attempt of a smile. "The Estee I remember always had time for me."

"Stop playing games, Mike. You're no longer a part of my life and I wanted to keep it that way."

Since getting back with Arlo, Estee had made a promise to herself and Arlo to stay away from the man. He and Estee together had caused their family so much trouble that she regretted to this day and she never wanted to be dragged back into it.

Even though at the time her mind had been consumed with love for Mike, when she looked at him now she didn't feel that way. It was difficult to completely move on as the pair had worked together and created some great success. However, as far as emotions went, she insisted she felt nothing.

"Just tell me what is so important."

Pulling at his suit jacket, Mike knew he would have to get straight to the point or she would just get up and walk away. Therefore, reaching for his brief case he pulled out a collection of paper before sliding it across the table to her.

Looking at him with a questioning look, Estee's eyes narrowed.

"It's a case I would love your help on." Mike began to explain. "It will be a tough one but I know an intelligent woman like you can win it."

Dropping her gaze from Mike's and onto the pieces of paper, Estee grasped them in her hands and began skimming her eyes over the words.

"A custody case?" She questioned as she took in the information before her.

"Correct. You don't have to make any decisions now but take those with you, have a read and get back to me."

There was silence between the pair for a few moments while Estee gave Mike a look that most would be completely intimidated by. However, all he saw in it was pure confidence and it was one of the things he had always loved so much about her.

"What is the back story to this?"

"The father of a son want's joint custody but the mother will not agree. He's got a bad past so she is at an advantage however; he is very much prepared to prove his capability of looking after this child."

Mike's explanation caused a blank expression to cross over Estee's face. It was one that could completely knock any surety you had in yourself and in turn make you feel completely stupid.

"That's it? I don't believe it can be that simple if you believe you can't win this case alone."

Mike's guilty expression proved Estee right.

"He has been back and forth in his son's life and the bad past consists of violence and crimes that the police should have got involved in." Mike finally explained everything, knowing that Estee would just refuse to get involved if it was that easy.

She had always been one for taking on a challenge and it was why you found her on the most complicated and stressful cases possible. Therefore, when being asked for help on something she classed as minor, she would very quickly turn it away.

"You want to give a father who has a history of violence and crime his son?" Estee asked as she gave that same look to make Mike feel stupid.

"He's changed but convincing the judges of that would be tough. We'd need plenty of evidence to support him but to also go against the mother."

Running her finger across the top of the pages in front of her, Estee was lost in thought for a moment.

"Are you really trying to win joint custody here or is full custody the secret intention?"

Nothing got past this woman, there was no doubting that. Mike knew that if he had presented the real argument straight away, she would have refused. Her mind may be powered by money but she also had morals and wouldn't engage in something she didn't believe was right.

However, Mike was aware she had caught him red handed and wouldn't be able to shake off her assumptions. So instead, he just gave in.

"Full custody is what we are going for, yes." He replied as innocently as possible and before he could try to throw a number of pointless explanations her way to make it all seem more appealing, her words beat him to it.

"When do you need an answer for?" Estee asked, causing sudden shock to fill Mike's face as he had expected her to just get up and walk away.

"In about three days if that works for you?"

Reaching for her iphone in her bag, Estee pulled up her overwhelming calendar filled with many different important events and meetings. Reaching the date that was in three days time, she glanced at her options for a few moments before adding it in.

"Okay." Was her basic response, before collecting the papers and putting them in her bag while Mike just looked back at her, completely stunned.

Holding out her hand, she then waited for him to shake it and when he did, she then got up off her seat and left the building. She walked out with such poise and confidence, with no intentions of turning back.

{

**

:)