Chapter 107

2 weeks later...

It was around 10pm when a meeting was called among the gang that night and everyone had gathered in the old gang house. While Matt sat in the spot he had always taken as a kid, the Gibson brothers and the three girls scattered themselves in no particular order around the other sofas.

The way in which this meeting was being carried out felt the same but the faces in this room alongside how everyone was sitting, was different.

"Where is Jay?" Naomi asked when she was clearly tired of waiting.

Cole's hand ran down the length of her leg and took hold of her own hand, as he replied.

"Upstairs."

"Because?" She looked back at her boyfriend expectantly, waiting on a bit more information than that.

"He's trying to explain to his new girl what the fuck is going on down here." Matt announced with a teasing expression covering his face. "How do you explain a room full of men and women all dressed in black to someone who doesn't know much about the gang world?"

"You should know how to answer that one. You've been there." Lara mocked with raised eyebrows.

"Why doesn't he just be honest?" Naomi rolled her eyes, not having the patience to deal with any of this.

"And scar her for life?" Matt challenged.

"No."

"Babe, they're all just down there because we are having a meeting to discuss how we are going to kill a man who ruined our lives. It's okay though, no one will get hurt... apart from possibly us and whoever the fuck Buddy has working for him." Matt mocked, putting on a voice as he made the real issue obvious.

Before anyone could retort back with some kind of argument, they all fell silent as they heard footsteps coming down the stairs. Everything about this moment suddenly felt like a group of teenage girls wanting to listen in on some kind of gossip, as that was exactly what each person was currently doing.

...

"I know your life isn't innocent, Jay. You don't have to hide stuff from me." The girl's voice was heard, sounding clearly distressed from having secrets kept from her.

"I'm not hiding anything from you."

"So tell me what this is all about. Tell me why you wait until 10pm to meet with your group of friends and why you've been acting so weird."

"I don't want to go into this Lauren." Jay sighed, clearly getting aggravated that they were having this conversation.

Jay had been 'dating' Lauren for just over a month now and things had begun smoothly. They had innocently met in a bar on one of Jay's nights off from business and hit it off. Meeting someone was not something Jay had expected to do at all however, after spending some nights with this girl; he'd seen something in her that made it difficult to walk away.

Even though he knew now probably wasn't the best time, her innocence to this world just drew him in more. She didn't know the cruel side of him that existed, she wasn't aware of all the people he had hurt in his life and all the selfish mistakes he had made. She just knew him for the person he was. She got to see the Jay that didn't kill people for a living and that was refreshing.

However, as the weeks had gone on she had begun to pick up on things and ask countless of questions. It was making the simple life Jay had hoped for, more difficult to continue but he was desperately trying to keep it up for her sake.