Chapter 78

A few days later:

Juliet and Erika had decided to spend the afternoon in town gathering last minute bits for the wedding while also putting Juliet's mind off the whole court situation. She knew it would be in the back of her mind no matter what she did but it helped numb the worry a little bit.

Just as they were leaving a bridal shop, they were stopped in their tracks when they were approached by Sophie. There was an instant tension surrounding them as they looked awkwardly towards her, not knowing what was going to come from this. However, Sophie tried to remain as unfazed as possible as she faintly smiled at them both before pulling out two envelopes from her bag.

"Hey." She spoke in almost a whispered tone, unsure whether or not to give Juliet a hug.

She wasn't exactly sure where they stood after everything that had happened. They seemed to experience moments where things would be okay before it would quickly tumble into argument after argument. Therefore, she decided against the hug and looked to Erika who did not look too pleased to see her.

The pair hadn't seen one another since the kiss between her and Elliot and they had obviously been avoiding each other for that reason. However, Sophie was prepared to push past her pride and her hatred for taking any blame for it and was doing what she thought was right.

"I know you probably don't want to talk to me or whatever..." She began, as Erika just glared back. "But these are for you... well one for you and one for Elliot."

As Sophie passed the envelopes her way, Erika reached out to take them yet her face was full of confusion.

"What is this?" She quipped, taking note of the names on the front.

"Just a short note." Sophie began, managing to hold Erika's uncomfortable eye contact. "I won't be coming to the wedding for obvious reasons; I don't think it would be fair. So, I just wanted to get all the apologises and congratulations out in there. I know things have been kind of shit between us all but I'm sick of the childish bickering. I'm twenty-eight nearly twenty-nine years old but caught up in messy shit I would be doing when I was twenty-two. I just want it all to be put behind us."

The trip Sophie had taken to Bournemouth to see Aaron's family had been refreshing. Even though things had started out slightly awkward, they had got better. It had been the best feeling to be surrounding by such a loving and normal family that it made her rethink so many things.

Here in Brighton everyone seemed to be so caught up in pointless and childish drama. Everyone had been living here for so long that their past life was so easily was caught up in their current life and it created arguments and hatred that wasn't necessary.

She didn't want to remain fixated on things that didn't matter. She didn't want to be caught up in drama that was just wasting time. Life was too short to be constantly in battle with someone so she finally wanted to put it all behind her.

She and Aaron had dealt with enough problems since being together and Sophie was now realising that it had mostly been because of her own issues. Most of their arguments had been related to her past or other external forces getting in the way and she didn't want that anymore. If things were going to move forward between them, she had to grow up and take note of the more important things in her life. Those important things became clear after her weekend with the Harris' and it proved to her that family, no matter how big or how small was truly the most important thing.

"Right... okay, thanks." Erika forced a smile yet it was clear she was still unsure of this whole exchange.

Nevertheless, Sophie's attention was quickly placed on Juliet before she had too long to contemplate it and she could see the genuine surprise on her face over what Sophie had just done.