Chapter 93

Walking through the kitchen that overlooked the garden, Jack froze on the spot as he caught sight of Kian in the garden. His heart broke a little as he watched him playing with a football on his own, repetitively kicking it into the goal, collecting it and then repeating.

"Is it alright to go out?" Jack looked to Carly and she could not only hear the nerves in his voice but see it in his face.

"Of course! I'll come with you and then give you both some time alone."

"Okay." Jack nodded. "What does he know?"

"That you're his real father and that you are new to this information too. I didn't want to stall the truth any longer, he doesn't deserve that." Carly turned serious. "It may be confusing for him now but he'll come to terms with it all eventually."

Telling Kian straight out that Jack was his father wasn't the way Jack would have gone about it himself. He would have most definitely taken a bit more time to ease him into the idea however, Carly was his primary carer and it was her decision.

...

Kian looked up the moment Jack and Carly walked out the door and he watched Jack cautiously. He obviously recognised him but he still wasn't sure what to make of it all. He had been very young when he stayed with Jess and Jack in the past so this was all very new again.

"Kian." Carly called with a smile of her face. "Do you want to come and say hi to Jack?"

Moving the football around in his hands through obvious nerves, he then dropped it to the floor before making his way over.

"Do you recognise him still? Does he look like that photo I showed you?"

Carly had shown Kian a photo of him and Jack when he had stayed with them that time, in hope to not only recall his memories but give him a sense of familiarity when they met again.

"Or do I look a lot older in person?" Jack teased and he didn't only cause Carly to laugh but Kian too.

It felt like a breakthrough to some of the nerves for a moment, as an amused smile fell across the boy's face.

In that moment, Jack knew exactly what Jazmine meant when she had said he looked like him but even more so Harvey. They had that same smile; it was quite strange to see.

"No you don't." Kian shyly responded, refraining from joking back due to not feeling fully comfortable just yet.

"Well I'm going to go inside and make some food. I'll leave you both to it." Carly smiled before turning around to head inside leaving both of them stood there.

Kian looked absentmindedly up at Jack, clearly nervous about being left alone with him. Jack was feeling equally nervous, if not more but knew that it was him who had to cause some calm.

"Sorry I interrupted your football game man." He apologised, playing with the cap on his head in that nervous gesture that Jess could always pick up on.

If she would have been here, she would have instantly noticed how scared he actually was and if she'd have known she'd have wanted to be here to support him.

"It's okay. It was pretty boring on my own anyway." He shrugged his shoulders.

"How about you give me a game?" Jack suggested and watched the happiness fill Kian's face. "I've been told you're good at it!"

"I'm alright." Kian shrugged his shoulders with a teasing grin over his face before falling shy again. "But you're probably better."

From there, the pair of them began kicking the ball back and forwards before taking in turns to shoot goals into the net. Kian had been a little unsure at first but very quickly got into the game and was expressing so much laughter the whole way through. It not only filled Kian with reassurance but Jack too, finally feeling a bit more relaxed about what this all meant.