Chapter 14

"Soph... what are you doing here?" Elliot questioned when he opened the door to his mum's house. "I thought you were in London?"

"I am. Can you not tell anyone you saw me; I don't want them to start asking why I didn't stop by."

"What's wrong? Why don't you want anyone to know?"

"Please, Elliot. Just don't." Sophie pleaded, not wanting to stand here and answer questions.

She had been hoping to avoid everyone in Brighton and just stop by at Alissa's but that had clearly not worked out.

"I won't mention it but you can't expect me to not find it strange. What's wrong?" He asked once again.

Pausing for a moment Sophie looked up at him and didn't say a word. But when he continued to look back at her in a disbelieving manner, she took the few steps necessary to close the gap between them and embrace him in a hug, hoping to reassure him.

"Nothing is wrong. I just need to speak to your mum."

Elliot knew that questioning her more wouldn't work. Sophie was stubborn and no amount of pleading would help him get answers. Therefore, he just accepted it and as they pulled out of the hug, he turned to lead her into the house.

"She's in here."

However, before he could lead her any further down the hall she brought him to a stop, clasping his hand.

"Wait, how have you been?" She asked seriously, genuinely interested considering the two of them didn't get to see each other as much as they would like to now.

They still kept in touch but it wasn't easy to get everything out when it was limited to text.

"Good yeah. I'm on my break... I'm going back to work in a second." He replied and Sophie began shaking her head.

"No, I don't mean how are you right now. I mean how is everything?"

Elliot knew what she meant but didn't know how to answer it. If someone asked Sophie how she was doing since their breakup, on the outside it would seem perfect. She hadn't struggled to find new relationships, she'd got herself her dream job and she was living in London; a place she had always wanted to experience.

However, Elliot didn't feel like he had moved on to quite the same standard. Therefore, answering that question, especially to Sophie wasn't easy to do.

"Oh right... yeah it's good. I moved out of our house finally and got a new place." He replied with a smile evident over his face.

It had taken him time but he had finally bucked up the courage to do it and was now living in somewhere smaller that wasn't filled with memories.

"Really?!" Sophie looked back at him genuinely shocked. She knew he had to leave at some point, it wasn't exactly the cheapest place to be living in alone but she wasn't sure how soon he would actually do it. "You completely passed over our old home to other people?"

Chuckling, Elliot nodded his head.

"Don't worry, your dad come and got any stuff that you had left. So you haven't lost out on anything."

"Did he? So you've seen him? When was this?" Sophie asked a collection of questions at once; thinking he would have mentioned it.

"Only the other day. He's worried about you, Soph."

Sophie had originally been excited to talk about her dad and hear what he had to say, but now that she had been presented with his concern for her, she was completely put off.