Chapter 72

Even though the past week had been tough on both Jack and Jess due to the news they had received from Jazmine, they were remaining positive, as today was an all-round good one. It was the last day of Louise's treatment while in the hospital meaning it was the day she could finally come home. She had responded well to the intensive chemotherapy that she had received and after constant supervision of the nurses, she was finally given the green light for freedom. The second stage of her treatment could easily be carried out home with regular visits to the hospital so she was over the moon to finally be getting out.

She was obviously not quite herself just yet and would need to get plenty of rest with Dan by her side however, with Louise's positive outlook, she didn't care. She just wanted to be out of her hospital room and with her family once again. Although they had been visiting constantly, it wasn't the same and she hated feeling as though she was putting them out with the regular trips.

The other exciting thing on Jess and Jack's list was a pregnancy scan, one that was going to be very different to what they had previously experienced before. In the past, they had never wanted to find out the sex of the baby as the thought of it being a surprise just made the countdown even more exciting. However, this time they had decided to actually find out and it was even better as they knew Louise could be there with them.

"I'll check us in, you go sit down." Jack squeezed Jess' hand as they entered the waiting room.

Jess nodded with a nervous expression across her face as she guided their four children over to the seating area. It wasn't too busy which she was grateful for because usually they would refrain from bringing the children however, they hadn't had much choice today.

As they ran straight over to the toys where they were prepared to entertain themselves for the majority of the wait, Jess sat back in her chair. She was clinging onto her hands as she glimpsed over at Jack talking to the receptionist and she felt completely sick.

She didn't know why she was nervous as this was technically no different to any other scan. However, it was the fact of finding out the gender this time that had the nerves flowing within her, as it was a slightly different experience.

As she pulled her phone out from her bag to send a quick text to Louise to let her know they were here, she felt a hand tap on her shoulder causing her head to jolt up.

"Excuse me?" The abrupt female voice announced and Jess caught sight of a lady who looked as though she was in her sixties.

"Yes?" Jess smiled, trying to hide the stunned expression on her face from the fright.

"Are these your children?" She went onto ask as she turned to point at Ellie, Harvey, Mia and Addie to which Jess nodded.

"Not a surprise." The lady muttered under her breath, clearly trying to make the comment without it being heard. However, Jess heard it loud and clear and she wasn't quite sure how to react out of shock for her rude tone.

"Why isn't it a surprise?" Jess then responded politely, trying to act unfazed by the way it had come across.

"It's just this is a hospital, not a playground and I'm trying to read my magazine in peace."

When the grey haired woman held up her magazine to show her, she then continued before Jess could interrupt.

"I know you're young but you can't let your children sit and make such a racket."

The words that came out of the woman's mouth caused Jess' stomach to sink with a feeling she couldn't explain. For one, the kids were not making any more noise than the people chatting around them were and secondly, the fact she had pinpointed Jess' age as a parent had bothered her even more. It was something her and Jack always used to get stick for when Ellie first started school. The parents in the playground used to give them looks and make comments at the fact they were in their early twenties with a daughter. The judgements had also been a constant battle that they had learned to shrug off with people having their opinions on them as parents without even knowing them.