Part 28 - second chance

1 year later (part 1):

"Is it ready? It's got to be ready." Todd rushed around the event room, trying to put the finishing touches on for tonight.

The morning had started out with such ease, feeling as though they had plenty of time on their hands. However, as the hours passed, and things were still not done, Todd was beginning to lose all faith in his capabilities to bring this together.

Tonight was the big celebration and reveal of the 'Sophie Carter Winter Collection 18'. After a year of hard work and so many expectations, there was so much to live up to. This was the first time Todd would be allowing himself to be seen in the public eye. It was the first time he was putting on an event that would be attended by faces of the fashion world he had only ever seen on magazine covers. Critics would be attending expecting something incredible and it couldn't disappoint.

"What's going on? Where are the models? They should be dressed and rehearsing this." Todd stressed as he reached the long stretch of stage to just see a few assistants loitering around.

"There was a bit of a hold up." The brunette, who went by the name of Anette, spoke up. "Some of the sizes were a bit off. Felix is just altering some pieces."

"Fuck." Todd breathed, feeling like his head was about to explode.

He didn't know how Sophie had ever done this. She always made it look so easy. She always put on the most incredible shows without a drop of sweat or single panic attack. Todd wasn't experiencing that same ease and he could just hear Estee's words running through his head over and over again.

"I think you should reconsider taking this on, Todd. This isn't your world, this isn't going to be easy." Estee had insisted the moment Todd had made the decision to take on the business.

"Running a business isn't the same as getting into fights and doing tattoos for a living. This is the real deal, you have to know what you're doing and know how to run a team of people. This kind of work isn't for everyone, Todd. Sophie would understand if you turned it down."

Estee had been desperate for Todd to pass the control over to her. She had been insistent that she could do a much better job. Although Todd had believed she probably could, Sophie had given this to him and he needed to do this for her.

"How long is he going to be? Surely someone can help him." Todd looked to Anette questioningly, not quite understanding why Felix was doing this alone when there should have been a team of people back there.

Estee was right when she had told him running a team of people was going to be hard. He had always been amazing at getting what he wanted when it came to the gang world, but he couldn't quite use the same techniques in a business like this.

"People will be arriving in 20 minutes. Those models need to be ready."

"I'll find out what everyone is doing." Anette tried to reassure Todd when she noticed how stressed out he really was. "Oh, and don't worry, you've got this. You'll make Sophie proud."

Shifting his eye contact from Anette to around the room, Todd took a moment to process it all. He had been getting so worked up over this night and making it perfect, that he hadn't appreciated what he had achieved. Everything looked incredible. The room had been decorated with so much detail and thought put into it. A white and gold colour scheme had been chosen, giving such class and elegance. The fairy lights that surrounded the room brought a magical glow to the long walkways where the new collection would soon be displayed.

Although the build up to today had been full of stress, looking at the finishing piece felt incredibly rewarding. Tonight was a big night and Todd was determined to make it perfect for the only woman who had ever believed in him and the only woman he had ever truly loved.

...

"This is amazing!" Phoebe practically screeched the moment she approached Todd.

The guests had started to arrive. They were gathered in groups, with glasses of champagne to keep them occupied and Todd was truly beginning to feel the nerves burden on him. He should have been engaging with the guests, he should have been introducing himself to the recognisable and admired faces in fashion, but he couldn't. He didn't know how Sophie did it. He had confidence in the collection but not in himself. He didn't know what people would think of him.

This had to be the first time in his life he had felt truly vulnerable, so he had been incredibly happy to see Phoebe's gleaming face in the crowd.

"It looks beautiful. I can't believe you pulled it off." She nudged Todd's side playfully, causing him to smile. She had been his toughest critic throughout this whole process. She wouldn't let him ruin this.

"Tell me I've pulled it off once it's over, don't jinx it. Alright?"

"Okay but just know that I'm super proud! No one can do what my mum is capable of, but you've shown that you have the dedication and work ethic to live up to her name. You've done something amazing here."

Gaining Phoebe's approval meant everything to Todd. Of course he wanted the big names in fashion to love it. Of course he wanted the critics and public to buy into it however, most of all, he had wanted Sophie's eldest daughter to give him the thumbs up. She was the one he needed to impress. If she didn't like what she was seeing; if she didn't feel that any of this celebrated her mum in the best light, then he would have failed.

This wasn't just a collection. This was Todd's turn to take that second chance and use it wisely this time around.

"Oh and you seemed to have impressed quite a few other people too!" Phoebe added before swinging her arm around in the direction of some more familiar faces.

Sophie's family and friends had all begun to arrive and were heading in their direction. Although he was filled with nerves, Todd suddenly felt a hint or pride for his achievement in knowing that they were all here to see his work. This kind of experience was most definitely a first for him and it caused a wave of unfamiliar emotions to erupt throughout his body.

"Congrats man. I can't wait to see it all." Matt, Todd's brother held out his hand in his direction.

Reaching for it, Todd began shaking it before urging Matt into a hug instead. The embrace was short-lived, but it held something much deeper than either brother was able to express in words. A wall had finally been broken down and it had opened up space for forgiveness. It didn't matter how long it took, all that mattered was the willingness to push aside years of unnecessary hatred to rekindle something that once was.

**