Part 9 - living the easiest life

"Guess where Hunter is." Matt smirked, with pure excitement laced in his voice, causing Juliet to look his way in question.

Moments ago Matt had been complaining about being at Sophie's dad's and now it seemed as though he had found something to keep his childlike brain occupied, which involved their son.

"Where is he?"

"I said guess!"

"I don't know, just tell me." Juliet sighed, clearly not buying into whatever Matt seemed so enthusiastic about.

She was feeling highly uncomfortable, missing her baby, and in no mood for his jokes.

"With Phoebe! He went to find her as soon as he got the chance." Matt sang and there may as well have been beams of light shinning from his body due to the excitement he found in this topic. "I told you he liked her."

"You don't know that. You can't just assume, Matt. They're friends." Juliet attempted to rationalise the situation but her husband wasn't having any of it.

Matt had started this new game where he loved to involve Juliet in these bets that she saw as pointless. He was constantly making predictions about their kids and was always encouraging Juliet to put her guesses in too.

Although she was never quite up for playing, she did secretly appreciate his childish manner and the joy he got out of it.

"Nah, they're not. I know my son."

"They don't see each other much anymore, of course he's going to want to catch up with her tonight."

"Yeah and maybe get his charming act in place, that he learned from his dad."

"Oh really?" Juliet couldn't help but laugh at how sure her husband was in this moment. "He got that from you?"

"Yep. So watch out, James might not be the only one with a kid soon." Matt teased while nudging Juliet's side however, he did not get the same amused response back.

Instead, her mouth literally dropped open as she began shaking her head.

"No, Matt. Don't say that, stop it."

"What? James committed to his first real girlfriend, Hunter might too... unless he's like me."

While Matt continued to joke around, Juliet wanted to stop him from speaking. He was easily seeing this as something exciting while she was just filled with dread at the thought.

Juliet still saw Hunter as her baby. It didn't matter how much he was growing up and getting on with his life, she was watching it through a misted lense. Watching James get his own life away from them was a big enough deal, she needed to hold the rest of her kids that little bit closer if she could.

She also loved Phoebe but right now, couldn't think of anything worse than being connected to her family. Occasional family dinners with the Lawrences had been great but imagining them with the Carters seemed a little more daunting.

"Can you please go and find him, Matt? We should probably get going." Juliet sighed, looking down at her phone for the time.

"Oh, so now you say we should leave!" Matt remarked, taking a guess of why she wanted to get out of here.

"We need to get back to Mason, he's been with my mum for hours."