Chapter 37

Elliot's Engagement Party (part 1):

"Hi!" Ashley's voice was heard as Jack approached the bar with Mia clinging onto his hand.

Turning his head in the direction of the voice, Ashley was perched up on one of the stools as she ordered a drink. Of course, Jack had expected her to be here; she was Erika's best friend and all but he had clung onto a small bit of hope that she wouldn't show.

He hated how much discomfort she caused Jess and never wanted her to feel as though there was competition. He understood that the particular time in their relationship would always hold a huge bulk of hurt in Jess but Jack wanted to make sure she didn't have to be reminded daily now that Ashley had moved back to Brighton.

"I was hoping you wouldn't show up." Jack replied with raised eyebrows causing Ashley to throw her head back laughing.

She had taken it as a complete joke but little did she know, Jack actually meant it.

"I'm going to be the maid of honour and I'm guessing you'll be the best man so we will be seeing a lot of each other, Jack Lawrence."

"You're joking, right?"

"No. Erika wants the wedding to be as soon as possible so you better find an evening free every week so we can meet and organise."

Ashley was looking at Jack with a beaming smile while he looked every bit of unimpressed.

"I have kids, a wife and a business to run, my evenings are fully booked." Jack responded, squeezing Mia's hand as he did so.

"You'll find time for your best mate." Ashley smugly smiled knowing she would get her own way before looking down to Mia. "Is this the daughter that Jess was pregnant with when we..." She began before Jack cut her off.

"No. Mia is my third eldest."

As Ashley looked down at the little girl, Mia began to back up further into her dad until she was practically hiding behind him. Reaching down to pick her up, Jack then placed her to sit on the bar beside him, his hand running over her soft cheek.

"No way! Where is the oldest then?" She went onto ask, in complete shock and not processing how much time had actually passed since it had all happened.

Looking over to the dance floor, Jack caught sight of Ellie before pointing her out to Ashley. Following his gaze, her hostility was obvious as she found her.

"She's so grown up."

"Yeah, it has been eight years Ash." Jack sighed as she was still clearly living in the past. She was back here in Brighton and ready to play her childish games all over again, forgetting that they had all grown up now and were completely over it.

"Who are the other two?" Ashley went onto ask as she watched three girls all stood in a circle, holding hands as they danced to the music amongst the adults.

"The brown haired is my current youngest, Addie." Jack pointed to his petite daughter whom could easily be mistaken as being younger than her actual age. "And the blonde is Soph's and Aaron's little girl, Phoebe."

"Sophie Carter?!" Ashley then looked at Jack in shock, causing him to just nod his head.

"No way! I thought she had a child because I saw pictures that she posted but I wasn't sure. I didn't know she was with anyone. I thought she had married her job after Elliot."

"Nope. She's with an actual human being." Jack mocked at her comment.

"Aaron who though?" Ashley went onto ask, truly clueless. It was clear that Erika who seemed to know everything about everyone had not passed on this gossip.