Chapter 82

"Can you all get ready to go and see Nan and Grandad for me please?" Jack asked the kids after he had managed to urge them upstairs.

He and Jess desperately needed some time to themselves before they went over to see his parents and that wasn't such an easy task when you had four children always demanding your attention.

"But dad-" Harvey began before Jack raised his brows at him in a teasing manner.

"Room, clothes and get dressed little man." Jack bullet pointed causing Harvey to chuckle before doing as he was told. He had been tempted to continue the joke and continue to try and but in but once he saw his other siblings leave, he followed too.

...

"We have about ten minutes." Jack said as he walked into the living room where Jess was sat.

She had her hands entwined with one another as she just stared at the envelope that was placed on the coffee table. They were the DNA test results that had just come through the post and as much as Jess wanted to avoid opening them and just forget about it all, she knew that wasn't realistic.

They needed to find out the truth once and for all and stalling that was just going to make things ten time worse.

Noticing Jess' reluctance and unease over the whole thing, Jack made his way over to her before taking her nervous hands into his own.

"Babe." He breathed, causing her to look up at him for the first time. "Whatever is in that envelope, it's not going to change anything between us or this family."

"How can you say that?" Jess sighed. She wanted so badly to believe that it was true however; she couldn't believe that it could be. "You could have another son, who happens to be my sister's! You will owe him your time just as much as you do this family; it's not going to be the same."

Jess didn't want to sound selfish because she knew none of this was Kian's fault. If Jack was his father, he deserved Jack's attention just as much as their children did. He had drawn the short straw in life and he had suffered from his mum's mistakes because of it.

However, that didn't make it easy on Jess as all she could think about was the fact Jack had another child with someone that wasn't her. He would be spending time with and loving a little boy as his own son, who wasn't one of the four, soon to be five children they shared together.

It hurt like hell and Jess wasn't quite sure how to deal with that possibility.

"I get that." Jack squeezed her hands as a forced attempt at reassurance. "But we would take it one step at a time. I wouldn't rush anything or do anything that makes anyone feel uncomfortable."

Jess could see in Jack's eyes how desperate he was for her to trust him and as much as she did, it still didn't make it any easier. Those worst case scenario thoughts were always in the back of her mind and she would never be able to force them away.

"Let's just get this over with." Jess responded as she reached out for the envelope and passed it over to Jack. "Please just open it."

Nodding his head, Jack took it from her hold before ripping it open in one swift movement. There was no point in stalling the whole process because it would just make it more intense.

Pulling out the piece of paper inside, Jack's eyes skimmed over the writing before the words all began to blur into one due to what had just been confirmed before his eyes.

He shouldn't have been surprised. Jazmine had been so adamant that she wasn't lying this time and she had also shared photos to prove the resemblance. However, there had still been that tiny voice in the back of Jack's head telling him that she wasn't to be trusted and this was all made up once again.

"Jack." Jess caught his attention when he realised he had been caught in a dazed state.

Looking back at her, he held the paper out towards her, letting Jess read it for herself.

When she took it from his hands, she had already guessed what would be written in black and white. His face said it all, there was no questioning it.

"Fuck. I'm so sorry, Jess." Was all Jack managed to say; unsure of what was the right thing to say in this situation.

He could apologise one hundred times but it wouldn't change anything. He had stupidly slept with Jazmine Montague before he had met Jess, not realising that Jess would turn out to be the women he would fall head over heels for. Yet now he was regretting ever spending a night with Jazmine who turned out to be more trouble than she was worth.

Jess' hands were holding onto the paper so tightly as her eyes started to water and she bit down on her lip to try and hold back the tears. However, there was no chance that was going to work and they began falling from her eyes continuously.

She had been expecting this outcome but there was something about seeing it confirmed in words that made it hurt that little bit more.

When Jess didn't say anything in return, Jack reached out to pull her into his arms but she only pulled away and stood to her feet.

"Please don't." She insisted, not being able to process how she was feeling. She just felt numb.

There was just pure silence between the both of them for a few moments while they tried to get their head around what had just happened.

While Jack was consumed with guilt, not only for Jess and his kids but Kian too, Jess was heartbroken. She knew life was never going to be perfect but she didn't understand how they had been hit with such a complication.

Jazmine would be loving this and Kian had suffered for so many years. None of it seemed fair.

"Baby." Jack's calm voice was heard once again as Jess continued to try to stop the tears from falling. "Just look at me."

He was keeping his distance from Jess out of respect, but he just wanted to pull her into his arms to comfort her but also himself.

Gradually lifting her head, Jess gazed back at Jack and the look in her eyes caused his heart to break.

"I promise you, it will be okay." He cautiously took a step towards her. "We'll take it slow; it won't change things for this family."

Slowly reaching his hand out to take hers, he managed to clasp theirs together before pulling Jess into his arms. Wrapping them around her body, he held her in a protective and warm embrace, wanting to get rid of all the fear and uncertainty she was feeling.

Jack didn't know what he was going to do next. He didn't know if Kian would even want anything to do with him but the natural fatherly instinct in him, meant he wouldn't let Kian go without a dad.

Seeing the conformation on that paper that he was in fact Kian's father meant he now felt a duty to give that little boy all the love he had missed out on. However, he also knew he had to go about it slowly, not only for Kian but for his family; Jess and the kids.

It was a sensitive situation for them all and it wasn't going to be something that would instantly be okay. It had to be worked at.

**

thank you for reading :))