Chapter 10

6 months, 2 weeks -

There was something about driving at night that knocked a small amount of confidence from Sophie. Whether it was the feeling of not being able to see things clearly or if it was the bright lights that would feel blinding when not dimmed as they should be. Either way, it wasn't her favourite thing to be doing, especially not on one of the busiest roads she found herself driving on.

With her music up loud, keeping herself in high spirits and not letting the unease faze her, Sophie kept her mind on New York.

She was currently driving to her apartment in London from a trip down south on business. They had been there working on a new project and attending some shows and as much as it had been fun, she was glad to be leaving.

It had been exhausting and after an extremely late finish today, Sophie was driving home over six hours later than she had intended to; hence why she was driving in the dark.

After many cheesy hits from her childhood had replayed one too many times, Sophie was about to try and turn over the playlist when her car began getting progressively slower.

She wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary, her foot was still firmly on the accelerator however, her car was dramatically reducing in speed.

Looking to the speed dial, she could see it also decreasing from over 70mph right down to 10 before it completely stopped.

"Shit, shit shit." She cursed, slamming her hands on the steering wheel.

She had managed to pull off to the side of the road, out of the way of traffic yet it didn't make matters that much better due to the fact she was completely alone.

Attempting to start the car up once again, it continued to fail her as every attempt it made to get back into drive; it couldn't quite manage it and would completely stop.

"Come on, please." She continued to talk to no one but herself, aggravated that this was happening now.

She was completely and utterly exhausted and had extremely little patience in dealing with this right now.

Slamming her hands to the steering wheel once again, she then opened her car door before making her way around to the front. She didn't know what she was looking for but this seemed to be the first thing people checked when their car broke down.

So pulling open the front, she shone her torch on the inside where the engine was and just stared at it. She stared at it for about five minutes before realising this was all completely pointless because she wasn't going to get anywhere.

She wouldn't know what was normal from abnormal and she was just wasting time and making herself suffer in the cold night, for absolutely nothing.

"For fuck sake." Her hands were thrown out to her sides at this point and for once in her life, she felt completely useless and vulnerable.

She could usually handle pretty much any situation that was thrown at her, yet at this exact moment she was not feeling like saving herself. She wanted to be at home, in bed and asleep so therefore this was just pushing her patience.

Looking down at her phone, she knew for a fact that she had to call someone. She couldn't just stand here in hope that someone would drive by and help her out. There was no certainty that even if someone did that they wouldn't just want to steal her money and run.

Therefore, scrolling back and forth through her contacts she became aggravated at how difficult this was proving to be. Half of her friendship group were experts in cars yet she still felt lost in who she could make the cry for help to.